Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat mealy bugs?

sfairley
Getting Established

How to treat mealy bugs?

Could someone please assist me with identifying what is on my plant and the best way to treat please? I have washed previously with mild soapy water which helped for a while but it has returned with a vengeance.

IMG_4488.jpgIMG_4489.jpgIMG_4490.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat this pest

Hi @sfairley,

It looks like you might have some mealy bug action going on there and potentially some other critters. I'd suggest using either Eco-Organic Garden 750ml Ready To Use Eco-Oil or Yates 750ml Ready To Use Pest Oil. Both of those products will solve the issue.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

I have sprayed with Yates Pest Oil a couple of times but it had no effect at all.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

How long ago was that, @sfairley? Yates Pest Oil is a contact killer, so you must spray the insect directly. This means on the top of the leaves and especially underneath them. Any mealy bugs that are sprayed with the product will be killed. If more appear, you'll need to spray those too. A repeat spray after a week is typically needed as well.

If Pest Oil hasn't worked in the past, perhaps you might like to try the Eco Oil.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects