Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to treat leaf spot on new Mulberry tree?

nikkib
Getting Established

How to treat leaf spot on new Mulberry tree?

IMG_0484.jpeg

IMG_0479.jpeg

IMG_0491.jpeg

IMG_0489.jpeg

IMG_0478.jpeg

IMG_0485.jpeg

IMG_0477.jpeg

I noticed that my mulberry tree leaves were like this morning . The fourth picture down is a leaf off the Lemon tree that was bought around the same time . Could someone give me some advice as to what is causing this please. I saw a previous post on this site that said it can be caused by fungus but I’m thinking maybe this is bacterial due to the way the edges of the leaves are being affected ? 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to treat leaf spot on new Mulberry tree?

Hello @nikkib 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your Mulberry tree.

Before I make any diagnosis, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the entire tree? Is it in a pot or is it planted in the ground? How old is three and when was the last time you fertilized it? Can you tell us a little bit about its history? Any extra information about the tree will help us figure out what's affecting it.

Looking at the leaves you've posted I'm guessing that it might be a combination of insects eating it and a deficiency in the soil. But as I mentioned earlier the more information we have, the better we'll be able to tell what's affecting it.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
nikkib
Getting Established

IMG_0498.jpeg

 Hi Eric. It’s still in the pot , we’ve just cleared an area today and getting soil delivered to plant it. It’s a bit spindly in the wind and not in full sun all day but most of the day . Loads of snails in the garden today when we dug the old garden bed up. Getting loads of fruit off it which is great . Not sure how old it is but it has a sign on it saying my roots are still growing I am new seasons stock , please handle with care . Not sure of it’s OK to plant it yet? It’s still in the soil and pot that I bought it in from Bunnings about 2 weeks ago. 

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for posting the photo of the entire tree and for providing those additional details, @nikkib

Our resident D.I.Y. expert @EricL is currently away but will be back online later today and will be able to assist further. 

In case you haven't already, I recommend checking out horticulturalist @Noelle's guide How to diagnose a sick plant while waiting. It contains advice on diagnosing and caring for sick plants that you may find useful. 

Akanksha

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @nikkib 

Considering its size and it's still in the pot, it has fruited very well!

The crinkling and yellowing of the leaf indicate to me that it is time to get it out of the pot and into good quality garden soil that has been improved with a fruit tree fertiliser containing the full complement of major, minor and trace elements. There are signs some of the leaves have been chewed but most of the obvious symptoms I believe are related to the lack of soil and available plant food in the pot.

Once it is planted out and the roots have ample room to spread into your well prepared soil, then I think the tree will do quite well.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nikkib 

I advise following @Noelle's excellent recommendation to the letter. My only other suggestion is to make sure that the area is clear of snails and placing an On Guard 4m Snail And Slug Barrier Insect Trap as a deterrent.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @nikkib @EricL and @Noelle have given brilliant advice. Your Mulberry is definitely ready to be transplanted into the ground. I’m glad you are enjoying the fruits YUMMO !!!!!! Keep in touch and share a photo of it when you plant it. Enjoy 😃🪴

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects