Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to set up a lawn irrigation system?

GeoKoro13
Growing in Experience

How to set up a lawn irrigation system?

IMG_3432.jpeg

Hi everyone,

I understand this question has been discussed previously, but trying to find the most effective system for my garden.

That’s the first time I’m doing something like that, so please try to be as explicit as possible.

i have the lawn shown above. I went to Bunnings and a guy helped buy some poly pipe and sprinklers. I did installed some half circle (1.5m) pope sprinklers (without risers) on the narrow parts of the backyard and pop-up one on the square part.

i did the installation very quickly as i was going away for 2 weeks so the pipe is not buried as those sprinklers would be blocked by the grass. On top of the appearance that the pipe is laying on the ground I couldn’t use the lawn mower where the pipe is.

Today, I got some risers for the Pope Sprinkler so I could bury the pipe. I haven’t opened the risers yet as I thought to ask here for any ideas before that.

Is that the right approach? Can you suggest any other type or equipment for my case?

Please, understand that I’m not good with that so, any comment/feedback/suggestion would be highly appreciated.

cheers.

George

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Lawn Irrigation System

Hi @GeoKoro13 

If you  bury the  pipe which is fine you will still have delicate risers sticking up  you will need to not  run over. or  whipper snip.

Typically you use all pop ups so they down low to mow over out of  harms way.

Consider  mounting poly pipe  at deck lip  height and continue at that height around the wall so poly pipe is off the ground.

just go into  ground  for the pop up just use 1/2 circles no need  for  risers.

Use  pope 13mm or 19mm  mounting clips  just hammer them into the soft brick mortar joins.

Pope 19mm Mounting Clip - 10 Pack I/N: 3130496   $7.43

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

Thanks for your response.

So, in the way that the pipe will off the ground the grass will be on the way of the Pope spray, right? Wouldn't that restrict the how far the water will reach or it doesn't matter?

Are they any pop-up sprinklers that I can use on the narrow part of my lawn? Meaning like spray in one direction (or opposite direction) in a small radius, which will cover the lawn. Even if that means I will need to install 2-3 of them.

Hi @GeoKoro13 

You  can get pop up sprinklers 1/4  and 1/2 spray patterm  so go  with your 1/2 spray pop up  pattern and over lap spray to cover most of the area in the  corners use a 1/4 pattern.

Consider digging a weeping soaker  hose into the  ground so  only the roots are watered as an option less water use too.  Or a green hose  with lots of holes in to spraying out from mounted on the wall

Pope 15m Soaker Hose 

I/N: 3123318

$24.97

The Idea is to water yuor lawn  and mow with out any damage to your watering system if I understood you correctly.  So  mount on the wall or  go under grass as you planned   just  use more pop ups 1/2  and or 1/4 circle,

@Jewelleryrescue the soaker hose its good idea for my garden! 

Thanks for your time

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @GeoKoro13 

My best advice regarding burying the pipe is to make sure that your connections are tight and that you use locking clamps on all the joints. I suggest installing Pope 75mm Precision Spray Pop Up Sprinkler With Variable Arc Nozzle as it provides both adjustable arc and throw radius.

Please note that too much water pressure will produce leaks in your pipe network. I recommend using a Pope 300kPa Pressure Reducer to protect your fittings from over pressure.

Here is a handy link regarding Pope lawn pop-ups: Pope Pop-Up Installation

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects