Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to separate garden bed and mulch from house exterior?

Catherine3
Finding My Feet

How to separate garden bed and mulch from house exterior?

Hello,

New to this. Looking for some ideas on how to separate this garden bed with mulch from the house edge. Thinking of laying down some pavers? Continue the lawn edging around the entire area? 

Thanks. 

365389427_1543462519394753_7415931680400327360_n.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to separate garden bed and mulch from house exterior?

Good Afternoon @Catherine3 

How about using Concrete edge strip but reverse it. So the high side is against the mulch and the low side is against the house. It would keep the mulch off the brickwork and create a clean line. I have used it as a gutter in the same way down my side path. 

Is there a reason or is it just asthetics you are after? Maybe just a single row of pavers against the house to keep the mulch off the brick walls and allow easy cleaning?

Also Welcome to the Bunnings workshop :smile: Its a good place for ideas I must say.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Catherine3 

Allow me to welcome you as well to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about separating your garden bed from the house exterior.

Using pavers as a divider to prevent the mulch from getting close to house exterior is a good idea. It's impervious to rot and will not easily move even in harsh weather conditions. It will prevent weeds from growing near the wall and you can remove them for cleaning without having to disassemble anything.

Another option is to use garden edging, there are quite few options you can use, but the only drawback is that the edging is installed semi-permanently and is not easy to reposition.

Between the two, I would recommend using the pavers for its long service life.

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @homeinmelbourne for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @Dave-1 and @EricL for your help!

Yes, I want to separate the gardens/mulch from the brick exterior of the home for looks and potentially prevent bugs tracking from the mulch into the home...

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects