Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to save this gum tree?

mechdraw
Finding My Feet

How to save this gum tree?

What do I have to do to save this princess gum, it is about 2 years

Princess Gum in strifePrincess Gum in strife

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to save this gum tree?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @mechdraw. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Gum care.

It appears that there are likely a few afflictions going on there, such as aphids and scale. I'd suggest you take a look at some oil-based insecticides, which will help immensely. 

Are you watering the plant at all, and if so, how regularly?

Let me mention a couple of our gardening experts, @Noelle and @mich1972, to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @mechdraw 

In addition to what Mitchell has said, it is my opinion that native trees like this gum do not do well when planted into a square of soil surrounded by paving/bricks. There is not sufficient exposed soil around the tree for adequate watering - the roots that absorb moisture, oxygen and nutrients are not immediately around the trunk but up to 2m out from it. The tree is not suited to its current situation.

The bricks will also absorb heat, raising the temperature of the soil underneath which is turn could damage the root system. If possible, lift the bricks to at least 1.5m out from the trunk. Water the soil well and ensure the tree is given adequate water to enable it to thrive and feed it with a slow release fertiliser formulated for native plants. Remember the feeding/water-absorbing roots are not directly around the trunk.

Pest control as per Mitchell's recommendations would also be helpful.

mechdraw
Finding My Feet

Hi Mitchell and Noelle

Thank you both for replies.

We will spray for what Michell said, and Noelle if we move the bricks will this save the tree?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mechdraw 

Let me tag @Noelle to make them aware of your question. I believe removing the bricks will improve the health of your gum tree as it will take the source of ambient heat away from the roots. Plus, it removes any hindrance for the tree to expand its roots near the surface.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi again @mechdraw 

Removing the bricks will certainly improve the growing conditions for your gum tree by reducing the risk of the soil overheating and allowing moisture and air to penetrate a larger area of soil over the roots. No guarantees doing this will save the tree but it could greatly assist its survival.

I will do what you have all suggested, I assume it may take some time to see results, I can only hope.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects