Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive my struggling proteas?

John57
Building a Reputation

How to revive my struggling proteas?

Mernda Vic again…

My two proteas are struggling possibly for different reasons?

7B773BE2-7037-4342-87C0-92A869B456BE.jpeg

F1C9DA2A-D46F-4D92-AA0C-0CEBA4869C1A.jpeg

079CADD0-EE03-4F95-AEA9-6FCF7BCBE4F3.jpeg

E1ABD3C4-8AAF-46F4-B2DD-7DC25FD6FE09.jpeg

I’m sure these two aren’t ideal. The corner proteas seems to struggle for nutrition and water. Seasol and watering don’t seem to make difference. Is it the fragrant thyme around the base that’s the problem?

In the second case, the brown buds, well I have no idea. Who knows what happened? It’s on the top deck of an embankment. Clay under top soil and mulches. Help?

Thanks …

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Gardening is like a living laboratory 😉

Hello @John57

It's possible that the thyme around the base of the proteas is stealing a lot of the nutrients in the soil. I suggest clearing the base area of the plant so that it does not have to compete with other plants for the nutrients in the soil. This would also be the perfect time to see if the soil is waterlogged. I propose digging around the base of the plant and seeing if the soil underneath is wet. If it is, I suggest changing its watering schedule so that the soil has enough time to drain away the excess water. 

When the leaves of your plant have a uniform yellow tip on them, this is often an indication of underwatering or overwatering. Keep in mind that Seasol is a tonic and is not a fertilizer. If you are thinking of using fertilizer, I recommend Scotts Osmocote 1kg Native Controlled Release Fertiliser. It's formulated with full trace elements and minerals, Osmocote controlled release plant food provides continuous balanced plant feeding for at least 6 months.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @Adam_W for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @John57 

Eric has given you sound advice re checking out the moisture content of the soil around the roots of the proteas and also removing the thyme immediately surrounding the shrubs which is likely stealing available food. I would suggest scratching the soil around the roots to check how damp it is rather than digging because the less you disturb the roots, the better.

Proteas thrive in gravelly soils - the clay layer under the topsoil may be hindering drainage with the result that the soil around the roots is holding too much moisture.

The browning and dying of flower buds indicates to me the plants are likely too wet. How deep is the topsoil?  Have you dug into the underlying clay to create planting holes?  If so, you may have created sumps that have filled with water, drowning the roots.

Check and improve drainage - if necessary build the topsoil layer up and then lift the plants so their roots are not sitting in semi-permanently wet soil.

John57
Building a Reputation

Thanks Noelle and Eric. We will tackle these jobs soon as you have guided us.

John

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated @John57 and please reach out again if you don't notice any improvement. 

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
John57
Building a Reputation

DE909FF1-59C4-48C9-9E31-5691B930CF09.jpeg

F8F51DB4-BED0-4118-8836-29831EF591B9.jpeg

Thyme has been relocated, hopefully the ground prep for this new site was good enough. Break up mulch and clay, added gypsum and rooster booster, watered with Seasol. And the protea flowers look healthy even if the leaves are mixed condition.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects