Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive lawn and remove weeds?

John57
Building a Reputation

How to revive lawn and remove weeds?

Mernda Vic

5A9E8012-B94A-4B60-842F-35C43C7EE70D.jpeg

D7B4CC02-62AF-469C-8E99-97ACE7E0D39E.jpeg

 Lawn is king’s pride buffalo. It looks in poor condition. It’s hosting a lot of weeds.

Cost a lot of money to install a year ago. I’ve mowed it a couple of times and used weed and feed and Seasol. Also used gypsum and compost.

06668818-7581-4B62-A840-4C1D312A7A12.jpeg

 I tried weed killer on the weeds only but that doesn’t seem to be effective.

But it’s now spring - and what can I do to make it green and stop the weeds? Did we choose the wrong variety? Do I need to fight this losing battle with the weeds? 
Our neighbor landscape gardener says no it should be this brown color. 
The other grasses in the area are mainly weeds and lush green grass. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Lawn dilemmas

Hi @John57,

Your Buffalo lawn will go dormant in Winter and brown off, so it looks pretty healthy. Your neighbour has a lawn that stays lush and green through the cooler months, though I suspect it is nowhere near as harder as your buffalo.

You have a variety of weeds through your lawn. Applying Yates 250ml BuffaloPro Selective Bindii And Broadleaf Weed Killer Concentrate will remove the majority of what's there in one application. Follow-up with a second application if any remain. Any left will need to be removed by hand or touched up with a non-selective weeder like Round-up. Be careful not to get this on your surrounding grass, as it will kill it also. Moving forward, you might like to contact your local council so they can send notice to the property owners next door to clean up their lawns. It looks to be an overgrown vacant lot, and you'll be running a constant battle with the weed seeds blowing over onto your lawn.

As the weather warms up, you'll see your lawn grow, and it will become green if you've already fertilised it. You'll need to apply a weed spray at least once a year to combat general weeds in the lawn. You might like to use some Seasol For Lawns as it will assist in your grass returning to a lush and full state. Also, check out these two articles on How to repair a lawn and How to detect lawn problems.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects