Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to revive Mandarin dropping leaves?

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

How to revive Mandarin dropping leaves?

Hi, just hoping someone could please tell me what is happening to my potted Imperial Mandarin Tree. It has dropped most of its leaves, and has brown dying or dead wood tips. I can see some new growth and flowers, with small fruits developing but worry it will lose its fruits again. I am thinking there may be root rot because it's in a plastic container and was exposed to a lot of winter rain and cold. I have just fertilized with Citrus Food and Dynamic Lifter. Last year it was full of fruit, but then dropped them all but 2 or three when they were about pea size. Thanks for any advice, it's much appreciated. 🙏

IMG20230924151202.jpg

IMG20230924151139.jpg

IMG20230924151118.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help! My Mandarin is dying

Hi @barbs01,

What sort of drainage is there in the pot? When it hasn't been raining how often are you watering it?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Hi Mitchell, thanks for your response. The pot has drainage holes underneath and around the perimeter towards the bottom, maybe 15-20mm diameter. When it wasn't raining I would probably water once per week, but checking if it was dry in the pot by just digging the soil first. If it isn't a watering issue or root rot, could it be some other pathogen or disease that has attacked the tree? Thank You

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Looks like a die back, a fungal disease. Best to cut out the dieback. Make sure you clean your secateurs with bleach or Methylated spirits so no fungal spores transfer to another plant. Spray it with a Copper Fungicide. Yates has a good one called Leaf Curl Spray, which is Copper Oxychloride. Makes sure you have plenty of drainage in the pot as well. I’ll tag @Noelle  into this as I want to get her opinion on it. 

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Also @barbs01 I would also remove the flowers so all the energy is directed into the growth to get it stronger again. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's some great advice from @mich1972 and I'd certainly also recommend cutting off those blackened branch tips @barbs01.

Let's see what @Noelle's advice is.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to revive Mandarin dropping leaves?

Hi @barbs01 

Prune off all the dead bits to healthy wood, spray with the copper-based spray recommended by @mich1972 , stand the pot on a couple of bricks or 'pot feet' to get it up off the ground and allow it to drain freely, remove all the flowers, place it where it receives morning sun but shade during the hottest part of the day (at least until it has recovered somewhat) and cross your fingers!

With some TLC it has a good chance of recovery. Remember to thoroughly water at least once a week - check how moist the potting mix is by sticking your index finger in to about the second knuckle. If it feel moist, don't water.

barbs01
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to revive Mandarin dropping leaves?

Thank you Noelle, MitchellMc and Mich1972 for all of those helpful suggestions and recommendations. I will certainly give all of this a go and hope the tree recovers and produces fruit next year. It's always more of a challenge trying to grow fruit trees in pots, i guess!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects