Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to rescue silversheen dying from tips?

JackieL
Finding My Feet

How to rescue silversheen dying from tips?

Hi team, i have 4 silversheen on pots. They have been growing well until i saw the 1st pot had some dying tips and branches last week.

At first, i was thinking it might get burnt out. But i found it is getting more and the pot besides it start to have some at the spot which doesn't have direct sun exposure.

Can you please help to diagnose what went wrong? what i can do to rescue them?

Many thanks for your help.First potFirst potSecond potSecond pot

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to rescue silversheen dying from tips?

Hello @JackieL 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your silver sheen.

Looking at the pictures you posted, I don't see any insect bites on the leaves, and they appear to be clear of dust and spotting. I suspect it could be a case of over or under watering. Your plant could be under water stress, can you please tell us how often you water your plant? If you've been having a lot of rain lately in your area, I would double check the drain holes in your pots to make sure they are not blocked. 

If they are getting too much rain, I suggest moving them into a shaded area and allow the soil to dry off.

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

Thanks for reviewing my case.

Usually i water it once a week, unless i see the leaves are droopy. Once i water it, i will only stop when i see the water is running out fast from the drain holes, to avoid water stuck in these tall pots.

During Xmas break, i forgot to water it until 2 weeks later. after that, we have rainy days (not very strong) on and off.

Since then, i started to see the dying tips. I was afraid the water stuck at the pot bottom, so i water it thru until the liquid running fast out from the drain holes. That happened twice last week. Am i killing them? 😣

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @JackieL 

One quick test you can do is to dig into the soil of the pot. If you reach down half a finger length and the soil is still very wet, it means that the pot is waterlogged. 

I also recommend removing any dead leaves or branches inside the pot to allow water to evaporate freely. Hold off on watering the plant and allow the soil to dry off.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @EricL 

I have done as you recommended.

Let's see after couple of days, finger cross!

Thanks.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects