Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prevent mould on sugarcane mulch?

rc20e
Just Starting Out

How to prevent mould on sugarcane mulch?

55A2B3D9-36AF-421E-9ABA-9F9727C02543.jpeg

3C0292F9-77CE-4D93-9DAA-87373E6B3752.jpeg

 Ahoy there! I laid 3-4 bags of standard sugar cane mulch in the back garden - a couple of inches thick - and 4-5 days later it turned - with dark patches of mould covering the layer. Think there may have only been one little patchy area when I laid it… but I didn’t pay too much attention nor worry. Now it’s been some 4 weeks, and the mould is dominating. Anyways, do you suggest I just spray it with vinegar?  Dig it up (with PPE)? Leave it be? Any help would be much appreciated. THanks!

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: Why & what to do about mouldy sugar cane mulch?

G'day @rc20e ,

Welcome to the community!

Mould is natural for mulch as it's a decomposing organic material... the best thing you can do is get a fork and turn it over regularly! 

Cheers

Marty

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @rc20e. It's fantastic to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about mouldy sugarcane.

@Marty_greenshed is on the money, and I don't believe this is anything to be concerned about. I also don't believe it is mould (well, not in the context of mould in a bathroom), more so the natural decomposition of the sugarcane. All the sugarcane I've used that's become damp exhibits this same behaviour. As advised, you can turn it over or just leave it be. I'd advise wearing a face mask with any gardening task where dust can be created; this goes for soils, mulches or anything that can have particles become airborne.

There's a lot of discussion on the internet about mould and fungus in mulches. Most of these are on the decomposition process under the mulch at the soil level. If you lay mulch too thick or it's too wet, you'll see a bloom of white fungi and bacteria develop. Once again, this isn't cause for concern and can be managed by aerating the mulch, turning it over, or thinning it out. Fungi play a crucial role in breaking down organic matter and returning nutrients to the soil.

Just to be sure, let me tag in our resident horticultural expert @Noelle to give her thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @rc20e 

Mitchell and Marty are quite correct - the "mould" or fungal action is caused by microflora responsible for breaking down the dead organic material that is the sugarcane mulch.  These organisms live on dead material and may, if the mulch is damp or very thick, become visible as surface mould.  Aeration by turning the mulch is all that is necessary to control it, if you prefer. Otherwise just leave it be - the important point is that these fungi feed on dead organic matter - they will not cause any harm to living plants growing in or close by the mulched bed.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to prevent mould on sugarcane mulch?

Great to see you receive loads of helpful advice in your first discussion @rc20e. Please don't hesitate to post anytime you need a hand. We're here to help.

Welcome to the community, 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects