Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to prepare a new garden bed for planting?

BeeGees
Getting Established

How to prepare a new garden bed for planting?

Hi all, I am preparing my garden bed. 

I have treated the clay with gypsum /clay breaker liquid and added compost, I also have some blood and bone which I have yet to use and I am about to top it all with garden soil.

Will this work to plant? The garden is in a bit of a mess but I am getting there slowly. I have some leftover merbau as a box guide, I am unsure if I should raise the bed without a frame or with it.  Should I fill it as high as the merbau timber against the fence? If it is boxed does it need to be on a slight slope? Otherwise, the plan was to create a garden that sloped away from the house. All feedback is welcome. Thanks ( I will be getting grass as some stage) 

IMG20240119090137.jpgIMG20240119090109.jpgIMG20240119090143.jpgIMG20240119090144.jpgIMG20240119090137.jpgIMG20240119090209.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to prepare a new garden bed for planting?

Hi @BeeGees,

The first concern is drainage. I note you've treated the clay, but how bad is the issue? If we're talking about a solid clay base under the soil, the Claybreaker will do little to resolve this, and adding drainage to the area to remove excess water would be needed. Adding soil mix and building up the area would be a good decision. Raising the height of the soil helps prevent the roots of the plants from constantly sitting in damp soil. I'd certainly recommend garden edging to retain the soil. Depending on the nature of the issue, raising the soil the height of the edging sounds like a good idea.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell, I have a few more questions.

I thought if I sloped the garden bed I wouldn't need to add drainage. But I can add drainage before we go any further. 

I think from what I have just seen/read  I could just add the drainage hose on the side of the deck.

I know it may be a silly question, but do I need to have the end of the hose exposed or do I cover it with the dirt? How deep does it need to be?

Thanks, Mae

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @BeeGees,

When the water passes through the soil it will stop at the clay level. If there is a slope on your clay soil the water will flow in that direction, otherwise the water will just sit on the surface of the clay soil. I suggest digging a channel for the drainpipe so that water will flow into it. 

One end of the pipe will need to be blocked and the other one will be open to allow the water to flow away. 

However, before you begin, I suggest aerating the surface using a Saxon Fibreglass Long Handle Garden Fork. When the clay soil is soft and wet push the garden fork into the soil as deep as you can and rock the handle to open up the soil. Go over the entire area so that the clay soil is properly aerated.

This will give you a bit of breathing room as the water will go down the aerated clay soil and not stop at its surface. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BeeGees
Getting Established

Thank you. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects