Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to plant Hydragena from pot to ground & problem plant

Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

How to plant Hydragena from pot to ground & problem plant

Hi,

I have 2 Hydragena plants in pots. 

1. Magical revolution was growing well  & changing to red colour flowers. After keeping it out in the uncovered patio, the flowers dried up and the leaves are turning dark. What should I do to help it grow back?

Can I put it to the ground? I live  in a north facing property, Do I need to plant it in the south which gets afternoon sun or in the East north which is sunny too? Can I plant it  in the garden in summer?

Hydragena.jpgMagical RevolutionMagical Revolution

Please give me some instructions and advise.

Thank you

Garden help

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to plant Hydragena from pot to ground & problem plant

Hello @Gardenhelp

There are a few possible reasons why your hydrangea's leaves are turning black. First, it might have gotten too much sunlight. If that's the case, I suggest moving the plant to a shaded area and making sure that the soil does not dry out. Next is the lack of phosphorous, the leaves will start to turn black from the tips. The colour may not be pure black but slightly brownish-black or violet-black. I recommend checking the acidity of the soil. And if the pH is below 6.0, you need to neutralize the excess acidity. In acidic soil, the phosphorus may not be absorbed by the plant.

The third possibility is a fungal infection, I recommend using a copper fungicide such as Yates 200ml Liquid Copper Fungicide. In the meantime, I suggest removing all the infected leaves and cutting off all the dried flowers. Make sure not to mix these with your compost. Please make sure to use safety gloves, goggles and a dust mask when handling the fungicide.

The best time to transplant hydrangea is between autumn and winter.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gardenhelp
Building a Reputation

Re: How to plant Hydragena from pot to ground & problem plant

Thank you for your help Eric. I have cut the leaves and dried flowers.  I will check the acidity level  and follow your advise.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects