Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lift turf and level lawn?

dannymel
Just Starting Out

How to lift turf and level lawn?

Hi,

I would like to lift up lawn for my garden. because slowly loosing soil and moved to another land. 

Please advise how to lift up the lawn around 15-20cm. I need to make a flat with path way. 

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: lifting turf / levelling lawn

Hi @dannymel,

Could you please provide our helpful members with a little more information about where this pathway will be running and if that will be part of the levelled area? That way, they'd be better informed and able to offer useful advice.

Lifting all the grass over the depression would be a fairly large job. Manually it involves using a spade to cut incisions in lines along the grass and then coming back and cutting underneath the grass to remove its roots along with some soil. You must cut underneath it deep enough to preserve the roots without severing them all off. This would be approximately a 50mm depth of soil. It will be hard going. You might like to read through this discussion: Have you used a turf cutter for turf removal?

Once the turf is removed, you can fill the height with underlay soil or, for the best value, order a bulk delivery of landscape lawn mix. You'll then be able to re-lay your lawn. Ensure the lawn is kept in a cool location and slightly damp by misting it with water until it can be transplanted.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects