Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to level a backyard?

ashleasmith
Growing in Experience

How to level a backyard?

Hi team,

Hoping for some advice on how to level my backyard.

I’m planning on installing some treated pine sleepers in front of my fence to prevent the additional soil from sitting directly against the fence - is this a good starting point?

I would also like to know what sort of soil mix I should be using to add to my backyard to bring the slope back towards level, and if I should hire a soil compactor as well?

Another question - the sides of our house will need to be levelled prior to concrete aprons being laid by a concreter. Do we need to do that? Or is this something the concreters do prior to boxing up and pouring the concrete?

Thanks,

Ash

IMG_1207.jpeg

IMG_1208.jpeg

  

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to level a backyard?

Many thanks for your question, @ashleasmith. I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will be happy to provide some advice as soon as he can.

Let me also mention a few experienced community members @Jewelleryrescue@LePallet@Brad@Stuardo and @Kermit that might have some suggestions.

Have you had a look at our Top 10 most popular side yard projects and our Top 10 most popular backyard projects? These collections contain inspiring projects shared by our members that might spark some more creative ideas as you revamp your backyard area.

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @ashleasmith 

Yes Treated  pine sleepers is a good start to stop dirt destroying your fence it also allows fence to be future replced with minimal issues.  If you like get creative and turn that sleeper retaining wall into a raised garden planter all the way along. Leave  a 50mm gap as a guide

Best Soil is organic (soil mixed  with composter it smells rich and earthy like potting mix)  you can mix this 50/50 with brickies  or  river sand  (Not beach sandpit sand)  Just  top dressing is almost lifeless dirt just a few minerals.

Nateral settling process and rain will compact soil naterally no need to hire machine.

The sides Ask you concreter to put a formwork down the fence line to create a gap between fence and slab (this makes perfect sense in years to come if fence needs replacing)  It is not good to use fence as the form work. fill the small gap between fence and cement with small stones once the cement laid and set.

No need to pre level the side of the house the concrete will solve that issue.  Do make sure a slight slope toward fence line so  water dosnt pool against house specify this clearly  with concreter

Have  fun big a great start to your yard.. 

Hi there,

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

1) So if you wouldn’t suggest attaching the treated pine sleepers directly to the base of the fence, how would I go about securing these into the ground? And if I was to do raised garden beds, how would I go about building these?

2) What type of soil should I ask for if I’m going to ask for a bulk delivery?

3) We will be asking the concreter to leave space along the fence for a small garden bed anyway, and will ensure there is a slight slope on the paths away from the house for drainage.

We eventually would love to do a deck under our alfresco area and then extend out to the back fence, with raised garden beds along the back of the deck to form a corner where we can put a bench seat. However, this will be a very expensive venture so just trying to get a nice basic garden set up for now, and we can worry about the deck in the future ☺️

Ashlea

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @ashleasmith 

Love new landscaping jobs! I generally end up with too many things I want to do at one time :smile:

I like the idea of the timber sleepers against your fence but not attached to it, I really think attaching things direct to fences causes more issues down the track then what time/resources it saves. You could have the sleepers attached to pegs driven into the ground then screwed through both Peg and sleeper.

Leveling your yard, Id possibly wait until you talk to the concreteres about the stuff you are getting done, If you or they have to remove some soil you could use it at that back yard to help level the area. For leveling the path area you could just follow a line of bricks along your house, making sure you stay below any air-vents that may be there. (your house may not have or need them if they arnt there)

Type of soil you may want -

That could change on what you are thinking of planting, what type of garden beds you may want and if you are going to have a grassed area. The soil that may come from pre-concreteing will be poor soil but can be used as fill if it dosnt have to much rock/concrete/bricks in it. 

Last thing Id keep in mind when planning an area is where will the excess water run to. The concrete edge should have a slight slope away from the house but then you could end up with water running straight down the side of the fence. Maybe factor in a drain of some kind? For the backyard as well just think of how you could use the excess water or where it will go,

Dave

Some amazing advice has been provided by our knowledgeable members, @ashleasmith. There is not much more to add as your questions have been answered, but I will say the sleepers for the backyard need to be installed according to the amount of fill that will be placed against them. The height difference between the rear of the house and the fence line determines the amount of fill. So, if you need to raise the soil level any more than 200mm, you should look towards installing sleeper posts that the sleepers will slip into.  

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects