Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to landscape side and back?

Imac02
Just Starting Out

How to landscape side and back?

Hi guys, i have never done landscaping before and ive just moved in to my new house and i want to do a DIY since it is cheaper than getting someone to do it for you and also a good feeling to do something to be proud of. Since i am a beginner. If someone could help me to do a step by step process such as what materials i need for preparation. Ive already have a design but i just wanna make sure that before i lay bricks or decorative stone/crushed stone. I wanna make sure it will last for a long time and will be level. 
Thanks in advance guys.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Landscaping side and back

Hello @Imac02 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about landscaping.

It's great that you've got a landscaping plan in mind. If you've drawn it out on paper, would it be possible for you to post a photo of your plan? This will allow our members to assess what you're planning to do. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed. Can you also please post a photo of the area you are planning to modify?

Depending on the complexity of your plan, I believe that watering, drainage and accessibility are key points when planning on a landscaping project. Will you be installing a reticulation system? Is there going to be a path? Will you be planting drought tolerant natives? These are some of the questions that you'll need to take into consideration when planning your project.

Here is a link to ideas and inspiration: 

If you need a hand posing the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to landscape side and back?

Hi @Imac02,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I would recommend you start by reading these guides: How to plan a garden makeover and How to give your garden a makeover. 

As Eric mentioned, the key is definitely thinking carefully about your needs and coming up with a plan. You can then divide up the job into manageable parts. 

We look forward to seeing your plan and some photos so our helpful members can assist you with recommendations on how to proceed.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to landscape side and back?

Afternoon @Imac02 

Definetly love to see your plan, I have gone through many a coffee designing things so am appreative of the effort (Not even worried if you think it wont make sense, it adds clarity when people ask questions) @EricL's mention of drainage is a big one, and your knowledge of areas that stay shaded, stay wet or become ultra dry also are something to factor in. 

Prep work is definently worth the effort and putting that design down on paper can really save manhours of work.

Hope to see that plan :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects