Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to get higher yield from vegetable garden?

Sathya
Just Starting Out

How to get higher yield from vegetable garden?

Hi there, 

I’ve been trying to grow vegetables, eg tomatoes has worm issues last season- could you please suggest best ways to get yield. I’ve planted capsicum for last few seasons but not very good, eggplant gave great yield a couple of years ago, did the same thing but last season hardly had any yield- please suggest tips. 

Also my piece Lily plant has a flower when we bought never again gave any flower, to me the plant looks healthy picture attached please suggest what to do with it to get flowers thanks. 

58B33067-31E6-4BC4-AA58-D9A2E236A521.jpeg

7890A71E-22B1-4B45-8D43-480070C180B9.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Sathya. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your gardening questions.

You might like to check out this helpful article on How to grow tomatoes. The worms you've experienced are likely looper caterpillars, and I've had issues with them. In the article's comment section, you'll find @Adam_W's expert advice on how to deal with them. He suggests netting your tomatoes to prevent the parent moth's getting to them and applying Nature's Way Dipel if you see signs of the caterpillars.

There could be several reasons your eggplants and capsicums are not performing well. Do they have adequate sunlight? Have you been fertilising? What's your watering regime like? If you can provide as much information as possible, it would help our members provide some great advice.

The most common reason for Peace Lillies not flowering is lack of sunlight. The watering regime and lack of fertilisation can also be causes. Once again, if you can let us know if you've fertilised, what amount of sunlight it receives and how often you water, that will give us more leads to go off. 

I look forward to hearing more about your garden and assisting further.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Mitchell, 

For the eggplant , tomatoes and capsicum plants in summer I can say they get good sunlight, I water them alternate days when no rain and I am not sure of their fertiliser need so I just pick any time, mostly use the osmocote dry fertiliser.  If I can get advise on what fertiliser and how often to use please thanks. 
For piece lily I use the same osmocote indoor plant fertiliser, again not sure when to give fertiliser, if I may know whether I am using the right fertiliser and how often to use please thanks

kindly 

sathya

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

The Osmocote is a slow-release fertiliser @Sathya and should be applied per directions. It feeds for a full six months, so one application should be good for a season. The sunlight and watering sound good, but only water if the soil is dry 5cm down. Stick your finger in the soil to see that it is dryish before watering. Have you got some good drainage holes in the containers, or are they planted in the ground? 

I'm a fan of Dynamic lifter for my vegetables/fruit. It's not a slow-release, so I throw a handful around each plant every few weeks during the growing period.

Your Peace Lilly has some damage to its leaves, any idea when that occurred? Have you got some suitable drainage holes in that pot too?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects