Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix back yard drainage?

josh89
Just Starting Out

How to fix back yard drainage?

Hi guys, I’m currently having issues with my drainage in the backyard. There is a low spot in the left-hand side near the piles of dirt as you see in the photos below. Do I build that area up with soil? And where should I place drains throughout the yard and What drainage is recommended to run there as I’m not too familiar with drainages on yards and what not as this is the first property we have purchased and not previous experience in drains but pretty handy once I know what needs be done. Thanks 

this picture is what it looked like had a above ground pool.

IMG_4434.jpeg

 this is up the side of the house just to the right of the picture is a double side access gate.

IMG_4450.jpeg

The garden on the right with the banana tree is being removed and two big veggie gardens going in (in future) timber garden edging going in soon along back fence.

IMG_4451.jpeg

 picture bellow is my main issue the pile of dirt/ pebbles is what I removed from the area could I spread it to fill the low area?

IMG_4453.jpeg

  picture between two garden sheds is holds water and always soggy, there is a damn point connected to the stormwater drain just on the left-hand side of the photo on the corner of the house there that’s where I was planning to return all my drainage discharge lines to that stormwater. Would you recommend doing that?

IMG_4454.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix back yard drainage?

Hello @josh89 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your backyard drainage.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Drainage to fix a muddy lawn by @Ben. It's an excellent example of putting socked draincoil to redirect excess water away from your garden. Another version of this is called a French drain. Where instead of putting soil on top, garden gravel is used which allows for faster drainage.

I also recommend having a look at this guide - How to fix a muddy lawn by @Adam_W. This will show you steps on how to diagnose water pooling in your garden and what possible steps you need to take.

Generally speaking, your goal is to identify where water pools or is likely to pool and provide drainage for them to flow out of your garden.

Please note that if you have to link the drain to your storm water pipe it might be necessary to engage the services of a licensed plumber to complete this work. If in doubt consult your local building authority before you begin.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know. 

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects