Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix GardenLine lawn mower not starting?

Raju
Growing in Experience

How to fix GardenLine lawn mower not starting?

My GardenLine Lawn Mower is not starting. I wanted to open the Top Cover of the Engine, where there are 3 nuts holding the cover. I opened 2 nuts, but the 3rd nut is slipping & would not come out. Can you kindly tell me how to remove the hexagonal nut?

LawnMower_EngineCover_Nut.JPGLawnMower_EngineCover_2NutsRemoved_1Nut_Stuck.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix GardenLine lawn mower not starting?

Hi @Raju,

Have you tried a slightly different-sized socket? The nut doesn't appear to be stripped, so the socket shouldn't be slipping. Perhaps it's the wrong size, and you were just lucky it removed the other two nuts?

Just so you know, there's not much under that cover that can be adjusted that's stopping your mower from running. What type of troubleshooting measures have you gone to so far? As someone that's dealt with hundreds of mowers that won't start before, I'd be happy to try and diagnose the issue for you. I'd recommend that you start by checking you have a decent amount of fresh fuel (less than 6months old and at least half-filled) in the mower, that the air filter is not completely blocked with grass (you'll find it in the black box on the side of the mower) and that you have oil in the mower (use the dipstick to check). If you can let me know if any other unusual issues are going on, like blowing a whole heap of smoke, that will assist.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Raju 

How did you get on with the nuts and sockets? I agree with Mitchell - once that cover is off, I don't think there would be anything here that would be stopping your mower from starting. Does the cord pull freely?

Hey @MitchellMc 

"As someone that's dealt with hundreds of mowers that won't start before"

What about hedge-trimmers? Should I continue here or start a new thread?   🤔

Cheers.

20230802_134423.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I recommend starting a new thread thanks @Noyade so other members are more likely to be able to find the advice shared in the future. 

Jason

Raju
Growing in Experience

Hi Mitchell,

Thanks a lot for your kind letter. Sorry for the delay.

I managed to remove the "Hard Nut" by removing alongwith the stud.

I cleaned the spark plug. Then I tried, but it failed to start.

Finally I removed the Carburettor and cleaned thoroughly with Gasoline. Poured Gasoline in the tank & fitted the Carburettor back.

Unfortunately the "Starter String" became loose & it demanded the whole starting assembly to be opened. Removing was easy, but to align and put back the gear & rope took lot of effort; work was greasy.

After that, I started the Mower and it was successful. I finished mowing my lawn finally after a year or so. The best part of my experience is the Gardenline Carburettor, which is really very simple & easy to clean. There are not many adjustments required. Congrats Gardenline!

Warm regards

Y N Raju

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's great to hear @Raju! Well done and many thanks for updating us on your success.

Mitchell

velusing
Just Starting Out

can use chip tools to loosen the nut

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @velusing. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for jumping into the discussion.

I haven't heard of a chip tool before, but I'm sure our members would be interested to know more about it. I note that @Raju managed to resolve their issue, so it's all good there.

We look forward to hearing all about your projects and plans around the house and garden. Feel free to reach out anytime you need assistance or have something to share with the community.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects