Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to ensure my Peace Lily blooms?

lavanya
Growing in Experience

How to ensure my Peace Lily blooms?

Picture5.jpg Picture4.jpg Picture3.jpg Picture2.jpg Picture1.jpg

Hi Bunnings Expert,

Can I request your assistance on the attached pics of peace lily , the plant is healthy with leaves and it is potted inside a pot ..The flowers are not blooming is there any reasons ?, I tired to pull out the stalks from the pot as it is very strong unable to prune the leaves.

Thanks

Lavy 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Peace Lily Blooming

Hello @lavanya 

Thanks for sharing your question about your Peace Lily. Have you recently transplanted your Peace Lily into a bigger pot? It looks very healthy; can you please tell us a little bit about how you look after your plant? 

How often do you water it? What kind of fertilizer have you been using? Have you topped up the soil? Have you been moving it around to a sunny area? Any information you can share about how you look after it would be very much appreciated. It will help us understand what's going on with your plant and we'll then be able to offer recommendations on how to proceed.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
lavanya
Growing in Experience

Re: Peace Lily Blooming

Hi Eric, 

Hope all is well with you.

I water the plant when the soil is dry .. yes peace Lily are thirsty plant.

yes , I planted the plant inside the pot, it is not in any other pot container, I think so that is why it is crowded for the flowers to bloom with more leaves.

yes, I have been moving around to sunny area, whenever there is more water then I just mix more soil.

Thanks

Lavanya

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to ensure my Peace Lily blooms?

Hi @lavanya,

Thank you for your follow up answers to @EricL's response.

It's hard to pinpoint one specific reason why the plant may not be flowering, but the fact we are coming into winter may be a contributing factor. Peace Lilies tend to bloom in the warmer months, so it is unlikely it will start blooming in the lead in to winter if it hasn't bloomed before.

It could be due to things like it not receiving enough sunlight, the PH of the soil being off, or that it is lacking nutrients in the soil, or even that it has outgrown the pot that it is in.

If the PH balance is off, it can hinder the plant's ability to absorb the nutrients it needs to thrive. Checking and taking any corrective measures to the soil's PH balance may help. I would suggest something like the Brunnings 3 in 1 Soil Meter (Moisture/pH/Light) may be able to assist in identifying what changes need to be made. 

It would likely be beneficial to add some fertiliser such as Yates 500ml Thrive Indoor Plants And Ferns Liquid Plant Food to increase the nutrient content of the soil following the manufacturer's instructions. This may give it the boost it needs to start blooming in the warmer months.

Allow me to tag some of our resident gardeners for their opinion, @Noelle, @ChloeThomson, @mich1972.

You might also like to check out How To Grow And Care For a Peace Lily for some guidance.

Let me know if I can assist further.

Jacob

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to ensure my Peace Lily blooms?

Hi @lavanya and @JacobZ 

The pH meter mentioned above is perfect for checking the acidity/alkalinity of garden soils (that is, natural soils outside in the garden) but are not always reliable or accurate when being used to test the pH of potting mixes. These mixes contain very high percentages of organic matter (compost, coir fibre, peat moss, etc) which can result in meters or pH reagent kits giving inaccurate or false readings, so it is best not to rely on them. In general potting mixes are manufactured and scientifically tested to have pH results between 5.5 and 6.5 (acidic) so the use of chemicals to adjust the pH should not be necessary for your potted plants.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects