Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to control wandering trad on lawn?

Pinkchef
Just Starting Out

How to control wandering trad on lawn?

We went away in holiday 

and when we got back one 1/2 of the lawn was covered in wandering trad.

ive been on my hands and knees pulling the weeds 

But it’s back breaking 

what can I do or what can I use 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to control wandering trad

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pinkchef. It's marvellous to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about removing wandering trad.

So sorry to hear that you are having issues with weeds in the lawn. I can certainly sympathise as I've dealt with some particularly invasive wandering trad that had spread through my lawn.

Here's a helpful article on How to get rid of wandering trad. One of the issues experienced is that it's extremely difficult to remove by hand, and any left roots and stems will regenerate into a new plant. Poisoning is likely the best solution. Spraying is next to impossible due to the nature of the weed snaking through the grass. Anything strong enough to kill the wandering trad will also kill your grass if you hit it with the spray. I'd suggest you pick yourself up a Zero weeding wand and some Zero herbicide. The wand has a brilliant applicator tip that allows you to paint the leaves of the wandering trad without affecting the surrounding grass. The wand length also means you don't need to bend over. I'm sure your back is in need of a rest. At your leisure, fill the wand up with the herbicide mixture and walk around the yard painting all the leaves of the wandering trad. You don't need to do it all in one go, and you can leave the weed to die off and decompose—no need to pull it up. Please remember your PPE when mixing and applying the product, including rubber gloves, safety glasses and a face mask.

Please let me know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
TheHandySqirrel
Having an Impact

Re: How to control wandering trad on lawn?

Hi @Pinkchef,

we have the same problem. It's always trying to immigrate across the border from our neighbour.

I'm not a fan of poison, so I have made it an almost meditative task to remove it manually. 

Since it very easily breaks in-between segments, I try to get a good grip on a shoot and pull it horizontally, in the direction it grows, if need be gently pulling out any roots. That usually works quite well. It's followed by a good inspection for any remaining segments. Once you have done this for some time you become very good at spotting segments.

As one of our neighbours but it: "It's a perennial fight!" But if you keep at it, it will be easier. When we first moved in I couldn't see the rear garden stairs for all the trad!

Good luck!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects