Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for newly planted Red Ash?

messagemiketg
Just Starting Out

How to care for newly planted Red Ash?

I recently purchased a Red Ash (Alphitonia excelsa) and planted around three weeks ago. I have noticed that there are now numerous leaves turning bright red including mature and semi mature growth. Some leaves are also browning slightly centrally. It seems also seems to be harbouring many moth eggs - although I'm less concerned with this currently.

Any ideas what the red leaves and browning issue would be?

Lots of rain since planting but 30+ degrees days.

20240301_140303.jpg

20240301_140330.jpg

20240301_140406.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Red Ash problems

Hello @messagemiketg 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us and thanks for sharing your question about your red ash tree.

Red leaves are often a sign of stress, it's possible that it could be caused by living factors like viruses and fungi or non-living factors like nutrient shortages in the soil. 

I propose using Yates 3kg Dynamic Lifter Organic Soil Improver And Plant Fertiliser to feed your tree. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Noelle and @mich1972 for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to care for newly planted Red Ash?

Hi @messagemiketg 

Your red ash looks quite healthy to me! It is common for the older leaves to turn bright red before they fall. The red leaves in your photo are inner leaves low down on the plant, they have probably come to the end of their useful life and the tree if about to shed them - perfectly normal and absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

In some areas, the red ash (the red of older leaves gives rise to this common name) is semi-deciduous so some of its leave will change colour as the weather cools, before they drop.

An application of an appropriate native fertiliser would aid in improving the overall leaf colour, which appears to be a little pale, in my opinion.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects