Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to care for dying Gleditsia tree?

gregmw
Getting Established

How to care for dying Gleditsia tree?

28FC5AD3-7A8B-4F30-B447-5760DC7C9197.jpeg

8003D92E-A45B-4C40-9F12-7413954090CB.jpeg

I have a large Gleditsia tree and this past summer just did not get the usual amount of leaves on it 

I have also noticed that a lot of the smaller branches have “died back “ which I have now cut from the tree .

I was told to put some seasol around it along with a lawn fertiliser - which I did , but it has not seemed to improve 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: gleditsia doesnt look good

Hi @gregmw,

It's difficult to diagnose the exact cause of the problem with your Gleditsia tree without more information and a closer examination, but it could be due to a variety of factors such as pests, disease, environmental stress, or nutrient deficiencies. Honey locust (Gleditsia triacanthos) is regarded as an environmental weed in Queensland and New South Wales, so resources on health care for the plant are limited.

I can't imagine that lawn fertiliser would be the best solution for addressing the issue, as different plants have different nutrient requirements. I'm not exactly sure why that would have been suggested to you. It would be best to have a professional arborist or horticulturist inspect the tree to determine the root cause of the problem and recommend the appropriate treatment. 

In the meantime, ensure the tree is receiving adequate water and avoid over-fertilizing, as this can also cause stress and harm to the tree.

Let me mention our resident horticulturalists @Adam_W and @Noelle to see if they have any thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects