Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to calculate how many lawn rolls I need?

kambo
Just Starting Out

How to calculate how many lawn rolls I need?

How do I calculate how many rolls of lawn I need to cover 100m2 of backyard?

When each roll is W460 H30 L1650

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: how do I calculate how many rolls of lawn I need to cover 100m2 of lawn?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kambo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about calculating lawn requirements.

You'd multiply the length (165cm) by the width (45cm), which gives you 7590cm2 (0.75m2). There are 10,000cm2 in one m2. Next, convert 100m2 to cm2 by multiplying it by 10,000, which equals 1,000,000cm2. Divide 1,000,000cm2 by 7590cm2, which gives you 131.7 rolls needed to cover your area.

Here's a handy guide on How to lay turf.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to calculate how many lawn rolls I need?

Hi @kambo  

@MitchellMc  kindly did the roll count for use 131.7 rolls.   As a general rule add another 5% up to 10% approx 5 rolls to that just incase there are some rolls not as healthy as  others and if you going to the trouble of ordering specific grass roll delivery it would be a pain to run short a few rolls if measurements estimates where out a bit or roll size varied. Some time neeed to cut turf around curves.  But if you are patient and run short on turf you can  always lay a section in a checker board fashion and fill the gaps with some quality soil and the rolls will grow  across the checker board and fill in the gaps in 1  to 2 seasons(years).

Having said get extra rolls  it is also a pain having left overs from the job what  do you do  with them?  Some times spot plant them in other areas that you may have a  patchy grass area. Donate them to next door who ran short. 

If you are on a budget and the grass is quite expensive I might consider doing checker board pattern all over the area halfing the grass  roll count but you will need 1 possibly 2 growing seasons to see lawn fully self close the gaps with some top dressing to promote growing.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to calculate how many lawn rolls I need?

Looking forward to seeing how you can transform your lawn @kambo. I trust the advice you have received has been helpful. Please don't hesitate to post again if you need further assistance, and we'd love to see some progress photos as the project proceeds. 

Welcome to the community. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects