Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a shadecloth plant cover for stag horns?

butters1
Getting Established

How to build a shadecloth plant cover for stag horns?

hi there! I have 3 stag horns hanging off a south facing fence that need shelter from summer sun. I dont have large trees to put them under so looking to create something using some sort of frame to suspend from fence over them. I was thinking of L shaped brackets and putting shadecloth over them to create something like a shade cover on a kids stroller. The more simple the better. Thx 

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: shadecloth plant cover

Welcome @butters1 and sorry for our slow reply. That sounds like a fantastic project and we look forward to following along.

Let me tag @TedBear@Adam_W and @Noyade for their thoughts. Our resident D.I.Y. expert @MitchellMc will also be happy to help when he's back on the site tomorrow.

Stevie

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
butters1
Getting Established

Thx for the reply. I was at Bunnings yesterday and have bought hd shadecloth and some cable ties.....that's as far as I got. Looking forward to some ideas to help shade my stags.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Butters.

Any chance of uploading a photo of the area you need to cover?

Timber or metal fence?

I think I understand (but I did have to google stag horn) where ya going with an angle bracket - but wouldn't that be too small?

Could you knock up some wooden triangular frames? Just a suggestion below. I'm certain others will follow with much better ideas.

Scan0852.jpg

butters1
Getting Established

Sounds like a good idea but I'm no handyperson

16408463257414628527012126116134.jpg

1640846370606504567781037506899.jpg

16408463945477504382030193038875.jpg

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Thanks Butters!

Then maybe large brackets would work?

I know Bunnings sell those large ones with the 'twisted' support brace  - 300-450mm?

Attach maybe three of those - looks like you have a shrub/tree between the last stag?

Maybe extra pieces of wood attached to the horizontal side of the brackets to provide extra length for good shade coverage.

And maybe a long piece to connect all three brackets  - to stabilise?

Then apply the shade cloth...

Scan0854.jpg

butters1
Getting Established

Thx for your suggestion.  Sounds good.  I'll go to Bunnings and check out the brackets.

Your Stag drawing skills have improved 👏 👌 

Thx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see that @Noyade has been helpful with your project @butters1. I'd have to agree that the angled brackets appear to be the simplest solution. These Carinya 600 x 300 x 40mm Heavy Duty Galvanised Twisted Stay Brackets might be long enough on their own without the additional timber. Their arm will extend 600mm out from the fence.

Please let us know how you go and if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects