Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a garden bench?

totocol
Building a Reputation

How to build a garden bench?

Hi there,

I want to build a garden bench like the one in the photo and I already have a sturdy top sleeper and wondering what wood would be recommended for the legs? 

Any other advice would be great. At this stage I’m just planning to sand the current sleeper and then oil it and then attach the legs to it. 
Thanks!

2BCDF4CD-B192-4A83-AEB5-85C6964D313E.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garden bench advice

Hi @totocol,

It appears that the legs on the bench in the image were created with something similar to 90 x 35mm H3-treated Pine. The legs would be a very simple construction, screw four sections together and bolt the top on. I've created a rendering below for you to illustrate better.

Be advised that to use a sleeper for a bench, it should be treated in something other than an arsenic-based preservative. Also, remember your PPE when working with timber, including a dust mask, safety glasses and gloves.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Bench.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
totocol
Building a Reputation

Re: How to build a garden bench?

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Can I confirm that the process would be to add a preservative, then an undercoat and then an outdoor paint? 
what sort of preservative would you recommend? 
im adding a photo of the current sleeper I was given that I’m planning to use. 
thanks! 

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That's a lovely piece of timber, @totocol. Are you sure you want to paint it? A little bit of a sand to create some highlights and a clear exterior varnish and it would look amazing. If you like the rustic styling and clear coat it, it will be a real feature. I fear that if you paint it, it could look like rotted timber that's been painted.

Either way, a clear coat or paint will seal and preserve the surface. If the timber is heavily decayed and falling apart, you might like to spray it with a wood hardener before painting.

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

Yes, I was thinking of going for a rustic look. I was however wondering how to achieve a similar look with the legs or some ideas of what approach for the legs will contrast well with the rustic top? 

thanks again! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Oh, sorry! My mistake, @totocol. It would be hard to mimic the rustic look on the legs, and I quite like the plain black legs of your inspiration image. They don't detract from the beautiful top, which is the centrepiece.

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks @MitchellMc 

I do have some monument outdoor paint that I have leftover from another project so I might use that for the legs.

thanks again! 

totocol
Building a Reputation

Sorry. One last question @MitchellMc 

I already have some good screws for the legs but I wonder what bolts would you recommend to attach the legs to the top? 

thanks! 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Cup head bolts would be the way to go, @totocol. Make sure to grab some long enough to pass through your seat and the leg frame. 

Mitchell

totocol
Building a Reputation

Thanks a lot! I’ll post some photos when finished 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects