Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a garden bed?

anuppandey115
Getting Established

How to build a garden bed?

Hi Team, I am planning to make a garden bed - Can I use the back of the fence, or will the direct soil contact may decay the wooden fences due to moisture from the soil? Can I use plastic sheeting or similar to create a barrier so that I can protect the fence?

Any recommendations? Also is it worth painting the fence to increase the lifespan??

anuppandey115_1-1693353385409.jpeg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How to build a garden bed?

Good Afternoon @anuppandey115 

I dont like the idea of garden bed soil against a fence. Main reason is the added weight over time will make it bow outwards. Issues with trying to turn the soil in the bed and popping off those pailings comes to mind. I do agree with you that the moisture will help the timber rot even if you paint them. 

Are you thinking of the fence to save on one side or just convienience? 

What are you thinking of building the garden bed with? 

How high  and also width are you thinking of going with the garden bed?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a garden bed?

Hello @anuppandey115 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a garden bed. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I agree with the points made, plus the space is just not big enough to support a decent patch of vegetables and there is the possibility of damaging the bottom of the fence.

However, as an alternative, I suggest building a raised garden bed instead. You can build it as long and as wide as you want allowing you to plant a significant number of vegetables. It will be isolated from the fence and will therefore not damage it. The best part is should you wish to build the garden bed in sections you can transfer it to different locations.

I suggest having a look at this discussion - How to build a (very simple) planter box? by @ELS1

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration - Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

Here are some fantastic, raised planter boxes our Workshop members have shared:

Here are some handy guides you might find helpful:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects