Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach two 100mm thick Pine sleepers?

tejaspitale90
Getting Established

How to attach two 100mm thick Pine sleepers?

Hi All,

I am building a garden bed and have few treated pine sleepers which are 100mm thick. I have seen videos on Bunnings community where people have used timber screws for corners of the garden bed. I need to join the sleepers straight as well (along the length), what can you recommend for the joining. My first thought was to use flat joining plates like this one

Link: https://www.bunnings.com.au/carinya-350-x-125-x-5mm-galvanised-mending-plate-bracket-single_p3961591...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to attach two 100mm thick Pine sleepers?

Sounds like a great project @tejaspitale90. We look forward to seeing it take shape.

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be happy to share his thoughts as soon as possible. Let me tag a few other helpful community members to see if they might like to share what they would use: @TedBear@Marty_greenshed@Jewelleryrescue and @woodenwookie.

Welcome to the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @tejaspitale90 

Your mending plate option will work fine but you will need a few of them and the cost will add up quickly.

2 Solutions I offer you as an alternative is

A .  Buy some treated pine H3 or H4   Fence palings  and screw them length ways over the joins it is realitive flat and wont take up planting space.  Use  glavanised wood screws it they are at hand but untreated screws will work but they will be rusty in time.  Pick the flatest ones out of the shelving.

100 x 16mm Fence Paling H3 Treated Pine Wet - 1.5m I/N: 0122050

$2.19

$1.46

or

Consider buying some star pegs and hammer them in to the ground vertically against the sides 100mm below the top edge for neatness.

Simply screw through the star pegs WITH PRE DRILLED holes at a  angle isnt an issue.  These will hold sleepers together at the same time stop them  bowing outwards  when filled with dirt.  Place them every 1 meter to 1.5 meters as a guide.

I hope  this offers some create thoughts for your project

A handy pak

Great, thank you so much. That makes it easy and affordable.

Cheers!

Tejas

Great to see you get the help you needed @tejaspitale90.

Please don't hesitate to post any follow-up questions. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects