Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How frequently should you water plants?

paulm29
Getting Established

How frequently should you water plants?

I find the watering guides on the tags of plants of not much use. They are kind of like some food recipes in terms of vagueness: e.g. 'moderately' (what is moderate?), 'regularly' (what is the regular frequency?), and my favourite 'well' (what on earth is 'well'?). Even better is 'as required' (?????) and 'do not overwater' (????).

Some say 'keep moist but not wet', which is a little more insightful, but still begs the question of the difference between moist and wet. Others don't mention watering at all, for natives I assume that just means leave them alone.

Does anyone have precise interpretation/guide for these terms, either in terms of watering frequency (e.g. regular = once a week, well = twice a week) or how one would determine 'wetness', ideally without purchasing special tools. Of course, I know the fequency needs some nuance in Summer vs Winter, for example. But if you were a to program a robot or AI, how would you guide it without the use of vagueish terms? Does anyone know any websites that provide precise terms?

Background: I've killed or stunted the growth of more plants through over-attention than under-attention; mostly over-watering. For example, I've seen drooping and/or yellowing leaves and it hasn't rained for a while, so I think 'needs some water', then I make the unbeknownst root-rot worse. I realise my mistake only weeks later...

Thanks for saving my plants from future water torture :smile:

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: watering frequencies: interpretation and guide to vague terms

Hi @paulm29,

As a general rule for most plants, do the finger test. Stick your finger in the soil next to the plant. When you pull your finger out, if it's dripping, don't water. If the soil feels moist/damp don't water, but you'll need to soon. If the soil is almost dry/dry, you need to water. Most plants in the ground do fine with a couple of good 15-minute soaks each week. On hot weeks, just check the soil between those waterings to ensure it hasn't dried out entirely.

The key with plants is that they like plenty of water but don't want to sit continuously with wet roots, so they need a period between waterings where the soil starts to dry out.

I don't think you'll find precise interpretation guides for those words, as their use of ambiguous terms is likely due to the variety of climates and conditions in which the plants will be grown. I understand that isn't very helpful, though.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
paulm29
Getting Established

Re: How frequently should you water plants?

Thanks Mitchell. 

I think I may still struggle a bit, but a little less so. 

Fortunately, most of my plants are natives, so from hard experience, I've learnt the best thing is just to leave them alone in regard to watering, at least during Summer in Brisbane. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects