Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I stop dogs and cats coming my yard?

Leahanne
Growing in Experience

How do I stop dogs and cats coming my yard?

How do I stop dogs & cats coming my yard & doing their business ?

I don't want to use poisons.

Walter

Re: How do I stop dogs & cats coming my yard ?

Hey @Leahanne,

Welcome to the Workshop Community.

My experience has been that cats come in to "take advantage" of the loose soil in my garden beds, strangely, not my vegetable garden.

Since we have a few birds nesting from time to time, I tried lemon juice around the garden beds. Didn't work.

Planted lavender.  Didn't work for dogs, but the cats got the message.  We had dogs to keep away the cats as well, but sadly, we no longer have dogs.

If you have cats jumping over the fence, you can smear vaseline, petroleum jelly, or even tree guard - its sticky and the cats don't like it.  Warning, it's sticky for you too.

I've tried this Multicrop repellent  in the garden beds and I think it's working, and it doesn't affect the lizards, that we have around, and hasn't affected the plants.

Hope this gives you some ideas

Leahanne
Growing in Experience

Hi Walter.

Thank you so much for your help.

I used to have a dog. I'm not a cat person.

One local cat keeps coming into the back yard & doing its business.

I'll give all of them a go & let you know how it goes.

Thank you again

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Leahanne. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preventing cats and dogs from entering your yard.

There are plenty of humane options to consider, which I think you'll find quite effective.

It's great to see @Walter has suggested the Multicrop 400g Keep Off Dog and Cat Repellent. We also have Multicrop 500g Skedaddle Dog And Cat Deterrent and Multicrop 1L Ready To Use Scat Animal Repellant. The key is to keep applying these, especially after rain. If you can apply them in areas sheltered from the weather, they'll last much longer.

For something that is undoubtedly going to give the dogs and cats a fright, moving them on, there is the Sureguard Motion Activated Water Spray Animal Repellent. I don't think any cat or dog that gets a blast of water at 2 am will frequent the area again anytime soon. There is also the Sureguard Motion Activated Ultrasonic Animal Repellent version, which humans can't hear, but most certainly can be by cats and dogs.

I have heard of people trapping cats in cages and then taking them to the pound in extreme cases. Any owner who needs to constantly retrieve their cat from the pound might consider locking them up at night as a more viable option.

Please keep us updated and let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to hearing that you've resolved the issue.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects