Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I prune a diseased rose? Do I use wound paste to seal?

Lorrene
Just Starting Out

How do I prune a diseased rose? Do I use wound paste to seal?

I have a rose that is very special to me. It has a die back disease when I prune it do I apply wound paste to try to stop this. I am going to repot now as it has stopped growing I am from the Gold Coast the nights have cooled. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I prune a diseased rose? Do I use wound paste to seal?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Lorrene. It's great to have you join us.

You might like to share some photos of your rose so members can assess its health.

This guide by @Noelle will also be helpful: How to prune roses

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Lorrene 

Welcome!

When pruning, always cut back into healthy (green) wood. If you cut a stem and the inside is brown, then cut a little more off until you reach healthy wood. Allow the cut surface to air-dry - covering with a wound dressing paste or paint isn't necessary. The wound is best left to seal over and callus without further treatment.

Lorrene
Just Starting Out

Thanks I watched this video, I have had the rose for quite awhile now. It was very healthy for years, but now has dieback and the only part growing is a shoot coming out the side. I tried to put photos up but could not get past trying to post them. It also has a fungus or something on the stem but I do not want to prune that far down. I use bunnings rose potting mix, feed for roses, as clean as I can get my secetuars and sprayed with rose spray. Is there anything else I could try, thinking I will just go for the repot and hope for the best.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Feel free to email your photos to workshop@bunnings.com.au and we can add them to the discussion for you.

There is also instructions on our Workshop help section.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects