Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

aussiblue
Having an Impact

Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

Any tips on how to legally and safely get rid of this for good?  I have been fighting this plant since circa 1985.   It laughs at Roundup and all other herbicides; at best they burn off the new shoots. It likes to grow up against the super six fence and gets under the fence and in the sheet joints breaking the fence.  It also grows up against the trunks of other shrubs and tree killing them by blocking out the sun (and making the use of chemical herbicides more difficult).  Yes; the honeyeaters love nesting in it and feeding on the flowers but they also spread the seeds in their poop so it is popping up in adjoining blocks along fence lines well away from my infestation. I've also see it in bushland in the area; I hope my "Audrey II" (per the people eating plant in Little Shop of Horrors) wasn't the source.  I thought I had beaten her about 20 years ago when I had the kids pet rabbits fenced in around her and they ate all the new shoots that popped up. But when the rabbits left "Audrey II"  returned with vengence.  Goats and/or Pigs would probably work but the RSPCA, neighbours and Council would doubtless frown on this.  Despite the noisy protests of the honeyeaters, I keep lopping it and clipping off or killing all the new shoots with herbicides. But she persists and as soon as I show any vulnerability (e.g. temporarily away or incapacitated by illness) and neglect my lopping and trimming she resumes control of the garden. My tip is don't ever plant one in Perth metro. I am suprised it's not a declared noxious weed. If the WWII nuclear war happens I am sure it will survive along with the roaches. It's even a pest in it's native USA see: http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/2203179/how-to-get-rid-of-trumpet-vine

Re: Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

Ha! I'm just imagining your neighbour @neetsfeats. Thanks for sharing. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We hope you get loads of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from our members and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Eradicating Red Trumpet Vine Campsis Radicans

Thank you @Jason!

Little, white haired , 70+ German accent, lively neighbour unless your a kid who wants to sneak over the fence to retrieve a lost ball 😳

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects