Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Don't make the mistake of going to Bunnings after 5pm !

Annette
Super Contributor

Don't make the mistake of going to Bunnings after 5pm !

Yesterday I went to Bunnings just before 5.00pm and discovered that I will never make that mistake ever again!

Despite the fact that my local Bunnings store closes at 7.00pm on Saturdays, I later discovered that they start bringing in the displays just outside the gate around 5.15pm and place them in the aisles in the nursery section. Blissfully unaware of the situation in the outdoor section, I started my shopping inside and by the time I got to the outdoor section my trolley was absolutely loaded. I still had to get several bags of potting mix, 2 pots of flowers, a bag of sugar cane mulch and several steel tomato cages from the outdoor section. With an already very heavy trolley, I maneuvered my way through the obstacle course with skill worthy of Peter Brock only to find that the only aisle I could squeeze the trolley through already had the misting system spraying the plants. I pushed my trolley along the aisle determined to get the last of my purchases but was also hindered by the hoses on the ground - my heavy trolley was not able to cross the hoses without a superhuman effort on my part. I finally got the last of the items on my shopping list onto my overflowing and teetering trolley and braved "Waterworld" once again and then, with damp clothes, made my way to the nursery checkout only to find that they were closed. I then made my way inside to find that only one checkout was open which had a long queue of customers.  Just to rub salt into the wound, when I first arrived at Bunnings I parked my car near the entrance to the nursery thinking that I would be leaving via the nursery exit. After my purchases had been paid for I exited through the main entrance only to struggle for quite some time before I could tame the trolley and make my way to the other end of the car park, all the while being watched by a staff member who was retrieving trolleys from the car park.

The only bright spot in this saga was the exceptional customer service of a young guy who had just recently started working at Bunnings. He went above and beyond finding all my obscure items in the indoor section, obscure because it didn't help that I did not know what some of the items were actually called. I think I might have even bandied about some highly technical terms like "thingy" and "whatsit"   Because he did not know what I was talking about I actually got a pen and paper out and drew him a diagram of the item I wanted ( I still don't know what they are called)    At least Bunnings can be congratulated on the quality of the training provided to their staff. As for the rest of my ordeal .................

Customer Service Bunnings
Customer Service

Re: Don't make the mistake of going to Bunnings after 5pm !

Annette,

We are very sorry that our service did not meet your expectations during your recent visit. We will pass your feedback to the team at your local store who will investigate your concerns.

Andy_Mann
Trusted Contributor

@Bunnings, can we Bunnings customers be re-assured that the incident was a one off, & that re-stock unloading does/will not occur in business hours?

Also, would it be possible that @Annette be compensated in some way, for having experienced such a shambles?

Annette
Super Contributor

@Andy_Mann - Even though I was venting in my earlier post I had only meant to give the heads up to other members so that the same thing does not happen to them. I can fully understand that Bunnings needs to pack up at the end of the day and I don't have an issue with that at all, it's just the way it happened. I think at the very least it would be a courtesy to customers for Bunnings to have an in-store announcement perhaps every 5 or 10 minutes to remind customers that the nursery section was being watered and that the outside checkout was closed and to make their way to the main entrance checkout. They could surely delay the sprinklers or install a watering system with a timer to come on after hours. Considering that I spent $490 that day, I didn't expect that I would have such a difficult time spending it. As for being compensated, I do not expect that at all but it was a nice thought @Andy_Mann  

Andy_Mann
Trusted Contributor

@Annette, I anxiously await @Bunnings' reply, before I comment.

Andy_Mann
Trusted Contributor

@Annette, I anxiously await @Bunnings' reply, before I comment, & it's now Friday.

@Bunnings I'm not looking for blood, no disciplinary action needs to be taken, I just need a reassurance, minus platitudes.

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Just a reminder that Workshop is a space for D.I.Y. and gardening discussion. If you have Bunnings customer service feedback I recommend you talk to your local store manager or submit it at https://www.bunnings.com.au/contact-us

I will close this discussion now as I believe that the customer service team has reached out to Annette in order to address her concerns.

Jason
Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects