Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Could you confirm species of this tree?

d23
Getting Established

Could you confirm species of this tree?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can confirm the tree below.

I'm looking for a few medium sized coloured slimline trees to go near my driveway (thinking yellow)

I'm looking to break up the grey of the driveway and back fence as well as get some vertical accents (see 2nd photo will be replacing the pittosporum hedges - so was thinking something like the trees below which I came across on a bike ride. I wanted to confirm the name and species - is it a ginkgo lemonline spire or a different type of pear tree?

20220710_152840.jpg

20220710_104921.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Could you confirm species of this tree?

Hi @d23,

These don't appear to be ginkgo lemon line spire as they have a distinctive frilly leaf. The leaves you're showing appear to be more pointed and droplet-like. If I were to take a guess, I'd say they are Pyrus Capital or Pyrus Calleryana. Both are relatively narrow ornamental pears.

Let me mention a few of our gardening experts, @BradN, @Noelle and @Adam_W, to get their thoughts.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BradN
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @d23 , hi @MitchellMc . I'm afraid I have no idea. 

@d23 Are you interested in those trees because they have yellow leaves? The leaves might only be yellow now because they're deciduous trees and they're about to drop their leaves for the winter.

It looks like the one closest to the gate has dropped most of its leaves already. The others still seem to have a few green leaves on them. They might usually be completely green for most of the year (same with the red tree in the second photo). 

If you get a better photo of the leaves you might be able to run it through a plant ID app such as Plantsnap or Leafsnap to ID it. If you can tell us roughly where you live, someone might be able to recommend you some suitable trees or other plants with coloured foliage.

Cheers,

Brad 

d23
Getting Established

Hi @MitchellMc and @BradN

Thanks for your replies. You're right re they are dropping their leaves - had another photo of a few others and it may be yellow due to that.

I live in Adelaide, and am looking for something perennial ideally, up to 4-5m tall and narrow, maybe 4 trees to go in that area for the vertical accents.  I was planning on adding some hedging like the below example at the bottom in a similar way.

Do you have any other suggestions on colourful narrow options - I was thinking the ginkgo lemonline spire (yellow) or red/white like the Japanese flag pole cherry tree...any other options you can think off that would be suitable for this area?

20220710_152450 (1).jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hello @d23,

Thank you for your questions. Jumping in to tag our ever-helpful gardening expert @Noelle, to get her thoughts on the right hedging for your needs. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. experts will also be happy to provide input as soon as possible.

Good luck with your project.

Akanksha

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I apologise for the delayed reply @d23.

Lemonline spire or Japanese flag pole cherry tree would both be great options. If you're a fan of them, I'd suggest either would meet your needs.

I'd also recommend you drop into your local Bunnings store and speak with one of our helpful Nursery experts. Not only will they have a variety of plants in stock for you to peruse, but they'll have access to a myriad of other options to order. Our suppliers stock a wide variety of ornamental trees, and there's no doubt that we could order some plants that would be perfect for that location.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects