Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you prune stonefruit trees back hard?

TimGeo
Having an Impact

Can you prune stonefruit trees back hard?

So I have a nectarine and a peach tree that I have had in the garden for only a couple of years now but they are 3+ meters tall and the trunk is probably 50mm in diameter already, I had planned on building some trellis for them and espalier them (basically some nice quality timber posts with some stainless wire.) But unfortunately I didn't do the early work and the idea came later.

I really would like to know if I can prune them back quite hard and would the trees recover without any problems? I know they can shoot quite vigorously, and I know they are grafted varieties so I dont intend on cutting them down to the ground level. what would be an acceptable amount of pruning be if I essentially want to "start again" and encourage new shoots for training on wire?

I will also have to move the trees over a meter or so because I plan on erecting a shed, and I'm trying to maximise space in the garden bed for a veggie patch.

Here is the concept, on the far left and right  are the stone fruit trees, lemon tree left from centre, apple in centre and lime tree right of centre.

I will have no issues with the apple and citrus trees as they have a good selection of branches and i can selectively prune them until they re-establish

Screenshot_20230414_071838.jpg

Here are some images of the stonefruit for reference,  photos are from November last year but they are doing well and have loads more growth than the pictures show, if I plan to do the big cut it will have to be mid to late winter so I'm well prepared for the spring and then I can finish off the landscaping

20221116_120208.jpg

20221116_120156.jpg

  

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can you prune stonefruit trees back hard?

Hi @TimGeo,

It is possible to prune nectarine and peach trees quite hard, but it is important to do it at the right time and in the right way to avoid damaging the tree. Late winter or early spring (while the tree is still dormant) is generally the best time to prune stone fruit trees like nectarines and peaches. When pruning, it is important to leave some healthy, leafy branches on the tree to provide it with the energy it needs to produce new growth. Aim to remove no more than 30-40% of the tree's overall growth at one time. You can then wait to see if buds emerge in your selected locations. Grafting buds onto those locations could be an option if you were interested in giving it a go. You'll find some information useful in this discussion on Grafting lime and orange to a lemon tree.

Moving the trees will also stress them, so it's important to wait until after pruning to move them. When transplanting, make sure to dig a wide hole and keep the roots moist throughout the process. It's also a good idea to prune the tree's branches by about a third after transplanting to help reduce stress and encourage new growth. 

I love your design, by the way, and think it will look sensational.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for the helpful information, hopefully I can work on this idea this year, otherwise I could always prune back to a smaller size this year and try it next winter all depending on my timeline of course.

My design is always evolving, mostly trying to find a solution to a problem in the design, always something different to contend with unfortnately! I guess that's the fun in landscaping!

by the way If I have posts 2m above ground, how deep should the footing be, 700mm should be about right if I were use these? or should I be looking for a larger thickness?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/90-x-90mm-2-7m-post-f7-h4-treated-pine-premium-kd_p8422819 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @TimGeo,

700mm below ground should be fine for your post. I'd recommend a decent-sized footer, perhaps 450 x 450mm. A 90 x 90mm would be adequate.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects