Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you adjust oil flow in telescopic chainsaw?

andrew6
Just Starting Out

Can you adjust oil flow in telescopic chainsaw?

can i adjust the telescopic chainsaw flow oiling? When I start to cut, the flow of oil just flow out very fast. It’s empty the reservoir very quickly. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: telescopic chainsaw

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andrew6. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about adjusting the oil flow on a chainsaw.

Generally, oil flow is not adjustable on a chainsaw. It's a self-lubricating system, and the RPM of the chain governs the dispersal rate. As a rule of thumb, chainsaws consume a great deal of oil; it's how they cut so proficiently. If you point the head at some cardboard or a white sheet of paper, you should have a constant fine flick of oil flying/spurting off the end of the bar. I'd expect the reservoir to need refilling around every hour of cutting on your machine.

In my experience, whenever I've had a chainsaw that was flowing too much oil, it was due to debris buildup around and in the area where the oil is distributed. This is usually indicated by the oil leaking out of the bar when not in operation. Has your machine always consumed the reservoir exceptionally quickly? The first place to start troubleshooting is to disassemble the head and clean the insides thoroughly. Look for a little hole that the bar rests against and check that there is no debris inside it. A pin can help you clean it out. Please refer to your owners manual to safely re-assemble your machine and tension your chain.

If you could do the paper test and run your machine with the blade facing the paper for 30 seconds and then post the image of the paper here, I'll be able to determine roughly if the oil rate is regular or not. Alternatively, you might like to take your machine into a store to see one of our knowledgeable Power Gardening team members. I'm sure they'd be happy to take a look at it for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects