Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I treat my Grandiflora magnolia tree?

Pomodoro24
Finding My Feet

Can I treat my Grandiflora magnolia tree?

My magnolia grandiflora seems to be dying. The tree is 10-15 yrs old & has always been very healthy with strong healthy foliage and beautiful large white flowers. This year, In the last few weeks, I have noticed a dramatic decline in the health of the tree - see attached photos.

I have looked for answers on the web and feel that the logical diagnosis is the tree is suffering from fungal disease but I cannot be sure. The treatment is not reassuring and the suggestion seems to be that it may not survive very long, the soil it is planted in needs to be treated & left bare for several years as it won’t be suitable for future planting.

Is there a treatment I can try myself? Should I seek professional advice? Should I have the tree removed for the sake of other plants? 
Appreciate any advice you offer

Whole treeWhole treeDying branchesDying branchesHealthy branches next to dying onesHealthy branches next to dying ones

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Can I treat my Grandiflora magnolia tree?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Pomodoro24. It's great to have you join us. 

Sorry to see your beautiful tree is struggling. Let me tag the wonderful @Noelle to see if she might be able to diagnose the issue from your photos and description, and suggest next steps for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Pomodoro24 

The symptoms are not consistent with a fungal disease, in my opinion. A soil-borne disease would affect most of the tree, with the younger leaves and branches being affected first.

It looks more like a damage or watering problem to me. Cut off the dead branches to prevent dieback and then look at whether the tree is being over- or under-watered. It may be that your location has received more than average rainfall this year which could be affecting it. The photos seem to show isolated branch/es rather than overall dying. It's a bit hard to give an accurate diagnosis from a couple of images, especially when cultural and location details are scarce.

Thanks for your response Noelle - I’m working my way thru the tree and it seems that whatever is doing the damage is spreading. Some time ago I had a very similar problem with a espaliered climbing camellia - there the problem was identified as ‘camellia scale’ and this looks very similar

Do you (Bunnings staff) do consultations? I’m not a gardener & I worry about making the problem worse & or losing the tree 

thank you

Hi @Pomodoro24,

Bunnings doesn't currently have a garden consultation service for plants. You could bring some of the dying leaves into your nearest Bunnings store. We quite often have horticulturalists working in our nursery areas. It is best to call before you head in to ensure one is working that day.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects