Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I lay Buffalo turf next to Kikuyu?

heuristic
Getting Established

Can I lay Buffalo turf next to Kikuyu?

I' m repairing a lawn which has kikuyu turf, I only need about 4 pieces of turf slabs but there's no place near me I can go and pickup, and deliveries usually has a minimum number of pieces. I see Bunnings has buffalo turf in store so I wonder is it OK if I have baffalo turf laid next to kikuyu? Thanks!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I lay buffalo turf next to kikuyu?

Hi @heuristic,

You could lay Buffalo, but it will look different to the Kikuyu. This might not be a problem for you; functionally, it will be fine. 

Have you considered seeding the area? It will take a few months to develop and is best down when the weather warms up, but it is a viable solution.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the information! I thought about seeding but after reading the process of how to make a good seeding lawn it makes me worried I won't make it as good as the instance turf.

It's pretty hard to beat the look of instant laid turf @heuristic! Seedling does take longer, and there is no instant gratification, but it does work.

It all comes down to how particular you are about the look of your lawn. There are countless discussions on the community about people struggling to remove Buffalo from their other lawn types. This is mainly due to Buffalo having quite a coarse blade and looking different from other grasses.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects