Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Are small moths on my staghorn any concern?

NatCatTat
Finding My Feet

Are small moths on my staghorn any concern?

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

image.jpg

image.jpg

  

Good day folks, so happy I found this forum. My very huge stag horn has a bunch of small little black moths all over it, is this a problem or part of the ecosystem. Also wondering why some of the leaves are brown and withered and have a strange brown furry substance on them? Thanks in advance for your help...

image.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Are small moths on my staghorn any concern?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @NatCatTat. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about Staghorn care.

Those are Scolypopa Australis, commonly known as passionvine hopper. No, I did not know that off the top of my head, and yes, it did take me 30 minutes of searching Google to find that information. They are an Australian native insect pest that can cause great damage to a wide variety of edible and non-edible plants. Populations can skyrocket quickly and, if left uncontrolled, can affect plant health, vigour and fruiting, with heavy infestations resulting in plant death. Here's a guide from Yates on how to control them. It's recommended to use Yates 50ml Baythroid Advanced Insect Killer For Gardens.

The brown furry substance is the plant's spores and nothing to worry about. From your second image, the plant appears quite healthy. The blackened leaf sections could be due to sun damage and not a sooty mould, which is sometimes associated with these moths. It might be worth keeping some 50% shade cloth on hand and draping it over the plant if you expect an exceptionally hot day where the plant will be in direct sunlight.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks so much Mitchell for your prompt reply. That's super helpful and thanks also for posting those articles for me to read. I will get in with sorting them out now that I know what they are.

thanks again for your most helpful response,

kibd regards,

natalie 

No problems at all Natalie (@NatCatTat). We're here to help!

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects