Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What shed foundation for sloping block?

Sticker
Just Starting Out

What shed foundation for sloping block?

I want to build a 6m x 3m shed in my back yard, which has about a 500 to 600mm fall along the length, what would you suggest as best option for a base?

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: shed foundation on slopping block

Hi @Sticker 

Is the drop off retained? 

No it just sloping away

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Sticker,

Is there any chance that you could provide a picture or two of the site where you are going to build this shed?

That would make any suggestions so much easier.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What shed foundation for sloping block?

Hi @Sticker,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post. We're looking forward to seeing your shed project come to life. 

As Mike mentioned, it would be helpful if you could share some photos so members can see what you are working with. 

Obviously the best foundation for your new shed would be a concrete slab. Experienced member @tom_builds has shared a helpful guide How to pour a concrete slab which would be perfect for a garden shed. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What shed foundation for sloping block?

Hello @Sticker

Thank you for sharing your question about what shed foundation to use on a sloping block. If you don't wish to dig into the slope, I suggest building a timber-framed base on posts. It's very similar to building a low-level deck, but the frame must be strong enough to carry the weight of the shed, the items placed inside and the people standing on it. 

The other option is to dig into the slope with an excavator and level the area you plan on using. I recommend using a concrete slab for long-term use and storage. The advantage is that concrete requires very little upkeep, but you'll need to consider putting in a retaining wall, plumbing and water diversion because you are on a slope. 

Before you begin, I suggest checking your local council's rules and regulations concerning building a shed on a sloping block. Because your proposed shed's flooring area is quite big, it might be necessary to get a permit. I also suggest engaging the services of an engineer so that you can ask them to draw up a flooring plan that is up to code.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects