Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What epoxy sealer or top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit?

abhishekj26
Getting Established

What epoxy sealer or top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit?

Hi,

I finished Epoxy Coat for my garage last night and now i am thinking of doing the top coat/ sealant before moving things. 

Please refer to an epoxy sealant similar to "Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss EpoxyShield Premium Concrete And Garage Coating" which is cost-effective. I do not want to spend $200 and my garage is about 34sqmeters.

IMG_5068.jpg

Thank you

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Epoxy sealer/top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit

Hi  @abhishekj26 

Yes  spend the( $200x 2 as one tin  does 23m2 only ) to clear coat will protect  your first layer but  can i highly recommend you add an anti skid additive..

So  do you spend the extra money $400 plus and have it looking great for many many years  ?  The clear coat of it gets damaged stained into the future can  be polished  back and redone.   Can your existing floor be polished or will the  pattern be destroyed?

$400 + extra is a lot of money so your existing floor  looks  great  by the way it will last you  well too,  no wrong choices here.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Epoxy sealer/top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @abhishekj26. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about clear coating over the Dymark epoxy garage floor kit.

I'm unaware of a clearcoat designed to go over this kit as it is a one-step product, unlike the Rustoleum system. It's a durable product, suitable for trafficked areas, and no clear protective coat is needed. A concern I have about applying any clearcoat over it is that it will need to bind to the epoxy, whereas your epoxy has bound to a porous substrate. If something were to fail, it would likely be at the weakest point, where the clear coat attaches to the paint.

I have previously spoken with Dymark and Rustoleum about applying the Rustoleum clear coat over the Dymark products. Unfortunately, no testing has been done, so they cannot comment on whether this would work.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
abhishekj26
Getting Established

Re: What epoxy sealer or top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit?

Thanks all, after a bit of research, finished this project with Rustoleum rock solid clear coat. 

Re: What epoxy sealer or top coat after Dy-Mark 8L Slate Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit?

Good work @abhishekj26 

That is a job well done now  and into the future you will be looking back and forgetting the extra cost and enjoying the  better quality job.

Rock  solid clear coat sounds great top marks for your researching.

Great, thanks for letting us know @abhishekj26. I'm sure the community would also love to see some photos if you can share some.

Jason

abhishekj26
Getting Established

IMG_5103.jpg

Hi @abhishekj26 

NIce NIce NIce  bet your  glad you did the  clear coat now.

Later on 10 years   a quick sand back and a re coat with out touching the pattern layer.

Great work and amazing results, @abhishekj26!

Well done.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects