Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I repeat garage floor cleaning before adding epoxy?

RK07
Growing in Experience

Should I repeat garage floor cleaning before adding epoxy?

I am new to this community and embarking on my first project involving Garage Epoxy. I've chosen the Rust Oleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating Kit for this endeavour. I've already cleaned the garage and performed etching using the Garage Etching provided in the kit.

Could you kindly assist me in reviewing the before and after pictures to confirm the quality of the cleaning? Additionally, do you recommend that I repeat the garage cleaning and etching steps one more time for optimal results?

My next step involves filling cracks using the Rust Oleum Concrete Patch & Repair Patch, followed by the application of the epoxy.

I also have a question: which top coat do you suggest I pair with this epoxy for the best outcome?

Before cleaning and etching -

Before Cleaning and Etching.jpg

After cleaning and etching - 

After Cleaning and Etching.jpg

Thank you for your guidance and assistance.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Garge Epoxy - Prep, Epoxy and Top Coat

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RK07. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about preparing a garage floor for painting.

That looks pretty good to me, and I don't see any reason you'd need to do another clean and etch.

Once you've patched the cracks, remember to sand the filler well so it is not proud of the surrounding surface. Take a metal ruler or straight edge and check the surface to ensure it is level. If you leave the filler proud of the surrounding concrete, the filled areas will be very noticeable after painting.

The Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss EpoxyShield Premium Concrete And Garage Coating is the compatible clear coat for Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating Kit

Please let me know if you have further questions. I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RK07
Growing in Experience

Thank you, @MitchellMc, for your response.

I have a few more questions (please forgive me if these seem basic; I haven't done any DIY work before):

1. Could you recommend other cost-effective topcoat options that are compatible with Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating Kit also provide durability?
  2. Once I've filled the cracks, could you please suggest the best tools for sanding down any excess material?
  3. Is it advisable to fill these gaps (between garage floor and wall skirting) using caulking before epoxy?Garage floor and wall.jpg
  4. Should I sand down the section below to remove the excess cement? If so, which tools would you recommend?Extra cement.jpg

Thank you for your assistance.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RK07 

If you are looking for an alternative product, I propose looking at the Dy-Mark Epoxy Coat Garage Floor Kit. It's an epoxy coating that resists hot tyre pick up and provides excellent resistance to heavy foot and vehicle traffic. 

Please note that there are garage floor paint systems such as the Berger Jet Dry and White Knight Ultra Pave. These are totally different from epoxy coatings.   

In regards to sanding down the excess cement, I suggest having a look at the Trojan Concrete Rubbing Stone. But if you have a grinder, I recommend using the DTA 100mm Dual Row Grinding Disc or the Flexovit 115 x 22.23mm Multi Material Reinforced Grinding Wheel. Please note that excessive use will result in a portion of your garage floor becoming very smooth, so use lightly to avoid polishing the concrete.

It's better to paint over the floor first before you apply any gap filler. By doing it in this sequence the epoxy coating will be anchored onto the concrete floor not on the surface of the filler.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

RK07
Growing in Experience

Thanks you @MitchellMc and @EricL for your inputs. I have completed the Epoxy over the weekend. Please see below.20230903_200559.jpg

I am looking for a top coat for this epoxy layer. Can you please help me choose the one that is suitable for the epoxy? Also, what is the difference between these three options? Do you suggest any other alternatives?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-clear-gloss-epoxyshield-premium-concrete-and-garage-coating_p...

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/epoxyshield/garage-concrete-floor-coatings...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rust-oleum-3-78l-clear-topcoat-concrete-and-garage-floor-paint_p0347539

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That looks fantastic @RK07! Well done!

The difference between those three clear coats is that the Rust-Oleum Clear Gloss EpoxyShield Premium Concrete And Garage Coating is the recommended coating. The EPOXYSHIELD®Premium Clear Coating is the same thing, but that's the US Rustoleum site, and their packaging differs slightly. Here's our version on the AU site. The Rust-Oleum 3.78L Clear Topcoat Concrete And Garage Floor Paint is only for bare concrete surfaces, not painted surfaces.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

RK07
Growing in Experience

Thank you, @MitchellMc, for your reply. Here is the final picture after applying the top coat. I'm very happy with the final results, considering it's my first DIY project. Thank you to the entire Bunnings community for the guidance throughout this project.

20230912_175153.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @RK07 

Thank you for that update, your floor looks fantastic. I'm sure the steps you've shared will come in real handy for our members who are thinking of putting epoxy on their garage floor.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @RK07, what a great result. You certainly should be proud of your efforts.

What project are you going to tackle next now that you have a little more confidence in your skills? We would be happy to provide any help we can.

Jason

RK07
Growing in Experience

Hi @Jason, Thank you :smile: 

The next projects I am planning are alfresco tiling and garage sealing for weather and dust protection. I will initiate the discussion in couple of days.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects