Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Land drilling rig manufacture miniature (Hand made)

Paiscoffee
Growing in Experience

Land drilling rig manufacture miniature (Hand made)

Hello Team Bunnings Workshop members .

I recently built a Miniature Land Drilling Rig using 95 % Parts from Bunnings.

5 weeks with 300 man hours with basic manual tools  &  did not use motorised tools.

Please watch the entire YouTube vedio link in time lapse.

https://youtu.be/mLgi1VQt_G8

B4FE0023-B70C-409D-BAAA-05491CE46A5F.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Land Drilling Rig Manufacture Miniature ( Hand Made)

Hello @Paiscoffee 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your land drilling rig model.

The amount of detail that you've put into this model is just outstanding. When I first saw the model, I immediately thought that it was a real drilling rig in your front yard! Then you mentioned that you sourced all the parts from Bunnings and I was just astounded by the number of hours you dedicated to building such a large rig in front of your house. Are you drilling for water or are you prospecting for something else? 

It was only on closer observation that I noticed that it was on your deck and it was just a little bit bigger than your potted plants. The drilling rig from a distance looks very realistic. I love that you've put in motion sensor lights to activate at night. Have you considered putting in red and blue LEDs to simulate building lights for low-flying aircraft? Even the diesel engine looks very convincing.

Thank you so much for sharing such a wonderful project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Paiscoffee
Growing in Experience

Re: Land Drilling Rig Manufacture Miniature ( Hand Made)

E46DAB47-54C2-407B-B644-E72B9F90C13C.jpeg

D5E14BAA-1B6D-4840-9A77-484BEFB98E8B.jpeg

  

836DCE69-F907-4DDF-B72D-257EB5F8E834.jpeg

EF5A54CD-495F-4A1B-9442-CA79BF7D53DD.jpeg

  

F3847479-EF31-4D8B-A3B8-CE90E510BA0C.jpeg

C49D4194-D40E-45AD-BA52-37119D173C3A.jpeg

Hello Eric .

The rig has a functional motorised Top drive with a motorised Drawworks ( Winch ) which can move the Top drive up and down ,by rotating the Drawworks ( Winch ) in the forward and reverse .

I do intend to install an aircraft light beacon but similarly,there are many things I can continue to do from here ,which will keep me occupied ,like I want to add some miniature grating ,install a drilling line spool motorised and May be a smaller winch etc .

This rig is around 5 feet 7 inches tall with the wheels & cannot drill but can do various functions.I can make it drill but for this I will have to strengthen the Mast ,which I may no go there ,as I do not intend to weld etc ,just hand create is my goal.

The Electric motors ,wire,switch are from jaicar.

The engine is a toy but the other equipment like the Mud pump,Drillers cabin,Stand pipe & manifold,BOP,Annular,Gantry BOP Lifting beam/device was all hand made using parts from Bunnings,I have tried to use more of aluminium,so that it is easy for me to work with my hands,most of my words are technical oil and gas abbreviations ,which are typical names used in the oil-Gas and Geothermal industry ,where I spent 35 long years.

Please watch my YouTube link in the first message to view the entire build process.

Appreciation is helpful to keep me motivated and continue to build such small miniature projects ,Thank you so much for the appreciation .

kind Regards-Pais Coffee-Allen Pais 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Land drilling rig manufacture miniature (Hand made)

Wait a minute here; you wouldn't believe the odds @Paiscoffee, but I was actually watching one of your YouTube Shorts the other day of you moving this rig with your car. I watched it as, without context, I couldn't figure out why you were pulling such a complex piece of tiny machinery down a driveway. A day later, and now you're here posting your project on Bunnings Workshop. Small world, hey!

This project is incredibly amazing, and I love that you've gone to this much effort to build such a machine. I'd encourage you to consider turning it into a working drilling rig and produce more videos of it. You'll find there is a huge community of people that are enthralled with watching scale machines work. I often get hooked watching people build miniature hydroelectric plants in creeks. There is something intrinsically fascinating about watching huge machines scaled down and put to work on miniature projects.

Many thanks for sharing this project, and congratulations on a wonderful build.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: Land drilling rig manufacture miniature (Hand made)

5643E598-51E2-4B58-9342-E878446A71B1.jpeg

Good Day Mitchell.

Thank you so much for the motivational comments.

I had some spare time & dedicated my time to this long awaited bucket list .

This is only the beginning.

In the future I will work on better more effective projects.

Thank you for the appreciation mate.

Kind Regards Pais Coffee > Allen Pais

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects