Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to tighten this bolt?

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

How to tighten this bolt?

Hello,

I'm trying to tight the bolt in the picture. It's a bolt with washer and a locknut at the end of it.

I've tried different tools but nothing works. This also due to the position of screw (very close to the  bar). I have a ryobi: is there a sort of "drill bit" I can attach to my ryobi to tight this bolt? Due to the position, I think this bit should be a 90 degree one to accommodate the ryobi?

Thank u and happy NY!

20231228_212143.jpg

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Re: tie a bolt very hard

Hello @ventodimare just a couple of questions... is that the bolt that came supplied & did the bolt start out initially easy enough to start with your fingers?

I am concerned as bolts are designed to only get increasingly difficult at the very end of the tightening sequence, is it possible the threads are crossed or misaligned?

For dry bolts that squeak and carry on but are not crossed threads (just stubborn), penetrating oil like WD40 & RP7 works well. 

As for a tool to reach easily, a socket wrench, extension bar and "wobbly bit" multidirectional adapter would be the easiest OR ratchet ring spanner but if you need to use a drill/driver there are adapter sets to permit various tool sockets to be used (I have these Irwin adapters). 

https://www.bunnings.com.au/irwin-impact-pro-performance-3-piece-socket-adaptor-set_p0055448

Hi @ventodimare 

Try solution D first may be true.

That bolt  looks as if it is meant to pass through that  top bracket and square steel and out the other side where  you said you have a  lock nut ready for it.

A  So If the above is true then tap it down with a hammer gently as there is no thread at the top in those  bits of metal.  If the fit is tight it could be becasue the hole of the top bracket is missaligned slightly  with the  hole in the square tube.  So once the long bolt gets to the bottom of the square tube you will need to try wiggle/move the top bracket left  or right until the bottom hole  aligns too and the bolt can be tapped through.  Now a spanner  at the top and a spanner on the bottom is needed for tightning a  lock nut.

B  In a rare case the holes might not be drilled to size properly test this by  moving the top bracket up and test the bolt through hole  same for the square tube separatly.

C  Wrong size bolt and nut  supplied?

D  On another note that square tubing looks like a furnature horizontal foot with a  rubber boot on it.  If That is so then  the bolt should be inserted from underneath  going upwards so the end of the bolt tail dosnt dig into the floor potentially.  It is  even possible manufactures designed it on purpose to have larger hole at bottom to take the  bolt body diameter and the hole at the top is slightly smaller that allows the thread to protrude through both tubing and top bracket followed by the captive  nut.  So it stops incorrect bolt orientation.   Just speculation. 

ventodimare
Building a Reputation

Thanks a mil to @Jewelleryrescue and @DIYGnome 

The gentle tapping etc. Resolved the issue. 

Plus I bought a rachet ring spanner and it literally changed my life :-). 

Thank you again and happy ny

DIYGnome
Building a Reputation

Hello @ventodimare glad to hear you had a successful outcome, ratchet ring spanners changed my life too, nothing better for small spaces and exhaust manifold bolts 👍

So pleased to hear you sorted the issue thanks to the helpful advice from our members @ventodimare!

Well done.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects