Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to stop timber pallet shed flooring from rotting?

figjam
Just Starting Out

How to stop timber pallet shed flooring from rotting?

Hi  I'm wanting to use timber pallets for the flooring in my garden shed but they will be sitting on the ground, whats the best way to protect them from rotting? I have spread out some blue metal rubble on the ground for drainage.

Thanks, Tammie 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to stop timber pallet shed flooring from rotting?

Hello @figjam (Tammie)

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about using pallets for your shed. 

Is your garden shed already built and in position or are you going to place your shed over the pallets? Unfortunately, timber pallets are not made to last long. Now there are some pallets that have been treated with methyl bromide a toxic pesticide that has been linked to human health problems and ozone layer depletion.

If you see a pallet with the tag MB in big black letters don't use or touch this pallet.

In regards to flooring, I suggest having a look at the Matrix 290 x 290 x 15mm Charcoal Grip Tile, the Matrix 590 x 590 x 20mm Coal Shed Tred® Panel and the Matrix 1200 x 400 x 40mm Charcoal Fast Floor Panel as a secondary option.

They are made from polypropylene and recycled plastic which makes them durable and long lasting. Another option is to flatten the inside of your shed and prepare it for paving. Using large Brighton Masonry 600 x 300 x 40mm Cream Mypave Paver will provide you with a strong floor and due to its composition makes it almost maintenance free.

One other way to do it is to use proper timber framing and pine decking. You can technically build your shed off the ground and prevent water from coming inside. The most common flooring of course is to build a concrete slab, it's the most dependable and long lasting of the bunch.

I understand your wish to use pallets as they are a free resource, but the amount of effort you're going to expend to protect this timber is not worth it. It would be better for you to invest in flooring that will last.

Here are some fantastic shed base discussions which you might find helpful:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects