Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to spray paint an old Colorbond shed?

Smithrj
Building a Reputation

How to spray paint an old Colorbond shed?

Hi, I plan on rejuvenating an old Colorbond shed with some fresh paint. The Colorbond surface is sound, but the outside has weathered and gone a bit powdery, with some colour rubbing off if you run a finger along it. Just wondering what sort of preparation would be required and the best paint to use, as it's in full sun most of the time. Thanks!

IMG20230219114016.jpgIMG20230219114026.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Spray painting an old Colorbond shed

Hi @Smithrj,

Since the coating is powdery, you need to prep the surface and remove this oxidation. Give the shed a good scrub down with a stiff bristle broom and soapy water. Then, take a Scotch-Brite 155 x 100mm Heavy Duty Scourer Pad and go over the entire surface. Flush with clean water and wait for it to dry. Once it's dry, try running your finger over the surface to see if there is still a powdery coating. Continue this process until no powder is left on your fingers. Do one final wash with sugar soap before flushing it with clean water and waiting for it to dry. You'll then be able to use the White Knight Rust Guard Grey Quick Dry True Bite Primer Paint and then your topcoat. 

Remember your PPE, including a dust mask, safety glasses and gloves when scuffing the surface and painting.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Hi Mitchell,

Thank you for the quick reply - very helpful. Presumably those primers and paint are suitable for use in a sprayer? I was planning on picking up the Ozito 400w sprayer for the job. Thanks again!

Regards,

Rod.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Smithrj (Rod)

I just wanted to confirm that both products can be used on a paint sprayer. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend getting some drop sheets and masking tape to cover up the areas you don't want covered in overspray. I also propose testing the spray gun on some timber offcuts to familiarize yourself with its power and spray settings.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as disposable overalls, gloves, goggles and a Trojan A1+P2 Half Mask Respirator. Please make sure to notify family, friends and neighbours when you are spray painting to keep them away from the fumes and spray particles.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Smithrj
Building a Reputation

Thanks so much Eric.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects