Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to seal concrete and rusty rio?

kaz5
Getting Established

How to seal concrete and rusty rio?

The ceiling of our garage is the underneath of our terrace. So it is the underside of a slab and you can see some rusty rio through it. 
I would like to seal it to deter any further deterioration, but am struggling to find the right product. 
can anyone help?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to seal concrete and rusty rio?

Hi @kaz5,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration for projects all around the house and garden from our wonderful members.

Apologies for the slow reply, but I'm sure one of our resident Bunnings D.I.Y experts will get to you as soon as possible. In the meantime, it might be helpful if you shared some photos of your ceiling so members can see what you are working with. 

Obviously if you have any concerns about the slab's structural integrity we would strongly encourage you to engage a professional to assess it.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: seal concrete and rusty rio

Hi @kaz5,

As Jason mentioned, seeing some images of the issue you are trying to address would be beneficial. Let me know if you need assistance uploading them.

The first step is to have the waterproofing on the terrace inspected to ensure there isn't a water leak that is reaching the reo and causing it to rust. Once you've established that there are no water leaks or structural issues, then you could try a product similar to Zinsser 1L CoverStain Primer Sealer Stain Blocker to halt the progression of rust stains on the ceiling. Although this product might disguise the staining, it's important to have the cause also addressed.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

kaz5
Getting Established

Thanks for the suggestions. I am currently re-mortaring the crazy paving and will waterproof/seal that before attacking the underside of the slab. 
Here are some images of the problem. 

IMG_8593.jpeg

IMG_8594.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @kaz5 

Thank you for sharing those photos of your concrete ceiling. Just to add to the suggestions made, I also recommend having a look at the Zinsser 3.78L Smart Prime Undercoat. It sticks to all surfaces and blocks all stains. It is rust inhibitive has low odour/VOC. You can use any oil or water-based topcoats.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

kaz5
Getting Established

That looks perfect. 
many suggestions for the best sealer waterproofer to use on the crazy paving above it? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kaz5,

Do you know what type of grazing paving it is? Perhaps natural stone, glazed ceramic, or porcelain? We'd need to know exactly what it is to provide advice on the correct sealer. Posting an image of them might help in identification.

Mitchell

kaz5
Getting Established

They are natural stone

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Then it sounds like one of these natural stone sealers would be the way to go, @kaz5. My suggestion would be the Crommelin 4L Natural DiamondCoat Slate And Stone Sealer.

Mitchell

kaz5
Getting Established

Thanks. That looks perfect. 
I still have to finish re-mortoring. I am pretty slow but it is coming up fabulous 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects