Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace garage door remote?

gnicholson
Growing in Experience

How to replace garage door remote?

We had car broken in to and this was stolen. We wish to change the remote as we need another one. Currently 2 remotes and one opener inside the house. Can we do this ourselves or do we need an expert? It is currently Merlin MR800A

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace garage door remote?

Hello @gnicholson 

Thanks for sharing your question about the Merlin remotes. I've placed a link below that will show you how to delete the old remotes in your roller door system and add new remotes to your garage door system.

However, if you have a different motor attached to your garage, please take a photo of the model tag and I'll try and get a guide for it as soon as possible.

Here is the link to the Merline guide: Merling remote resetting.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gnicholson
Growing in Experience

Thanks for the video on getting rid of the old remotes but we also need how to put the new ones on. In the garage and the house.

Cheers

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gnicholson 

The next step is to find a compatible remote with your door opener. Once you have the new remote you can pair it with your garage opener by following the instructions at the beginning of the video guide. 

Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the model number of your garage opener. I can then ask Merlin what the compatible remotes are and if the frequency it emits will be different from your old remote. 

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

gnicholson
Growing in Experience

remote 1.jpgremote 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gnicholson 

Thanks for posting that photo of your Merlin garage motor. I'll contact Merlin to get more information on compatible remotes. I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Thank you for your patience.

Eric

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gnicholson 

I've been in contact with Merlin's technical department, and they suggested a compatible remote like the E960. They also assured me that the pairing the new remote to your garage opener will not allow your old remotes to work. They've requested that you contact their customer service line at 1800 638 234 and speak to Tara. They want to make sure that your garage opener is properly set up and your old remotes removed from your system.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

gnicholson
Growing in Experience

Thanks do you know if you can have more than 2 remotes attached so we could have one each on each set of keys instead of in the cars?

Hi @gnicholson,

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to have more than two E960 Merlin remotes attached. It sounds like it would be a good idea to get in touch with the team at Merlin on the above contact number, as they are ready to assist with the install.

Mitchell

Thanks for all your help. We spoke to Merlin and they said to buy the updated compatible remote E960MR at Bunnings for $53.The guy said to call back after we purchased it and they talked us through decommissioning the old remote and then reprogrammed the new one, the old one and the one in the house. All working so far so a good result.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects