Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a leaky shed roof?

Agro
Finding My Feet

How to repair a leaky shed roof?

Hi

The shingles on this shed roof need replacing, but I would like to ask if it would be better to replace them with another material. What DIY options do I have to repair this leaky roof? 

Thank youPXL_20230105_014240281.jpgPXL_20230105_014224785.jpgPXL_20230105_014256717.jpgPXL_20230105_014300502.jpg

MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: How to repair a leaky shed roof?

Hi @Agro,

Thanks for contacting Bunnings Workshop with respect to your issue

Where are you posting from?

Personally, considering there is already sarking under the top layer of shingles, you could put either a layer of corrugated iron or coloured roof profile in place.

Bear in mind that you will need new flashings and hip caps to seal the sides and the top of the roof.

If you are going to do this work yourself, please make sure that the shingles have not caused the sarking to become wet and moudly, if this is the case, the plywood sarking will need to be replaced.

You can do all of this yourself or you can get a roofing company in to do this, if you aren't comfortable with heights.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Hi Mike,

I am posting from Sydney.

It's hard to tell from the photos but the shingles are directly on the frame in a single layer, perhaps the daylight looks like sarking!

A metal roof sounds great. I would like to do this myself: what tools and materials would I need from Bunnings?

Kind regards, 

Allie

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Agro. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about replacing a roof.

For the materials, you'll need the roof sheeting, roofing screws, ridge capping and angle flashing to finish the edges of your sheets. Tool-wise, you'll need a drill driver and aviation snips. If you need to cut the sheeting to length, I'd recommend picking up a nibbler, as it will be far easier to use than the aviation snips. Here's the roofing installation guide from one of our suppliers Lysaght.

Before you start, it would be a good idea to check out this helpful guide: How to use ladders safely

Once you've read through the installation guide, please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Agro,

Crikey, @MitchellMc, pretty much has you sorted with bits for this job.

You're right, the shingles do look like sarking on the underside of the roof!

What I would do first off, is remove the shingles, see what sort of water damage there may be to the top plates and the like,

replace any dodgy looking timber before you start on anything else

Considering you already have purlins installed, I would look at some bituminous builder paper on top of the purlins and screw the steel sheeting

to the purlins.

Bearing in mind, you must only screw through the upper parts of the corrugations or profiles, putting screws through the lower parts is guaranteed to cause a leaking roof, through capillary action, be warned.

Also, use stainless Tek Screws that have the butyl washer under them.

From there, once the roof is installed, fit your head cap profile and the flashings to each end.

Unfortunately, adding a new roof like this is going to totally change the character of this building, but it will hold it in good stead and keep it weather-tight for years to come.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects