Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repaint my carport floor?

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

How to repaint my carport floor?

I need a coating for my carport floor. It has previously been painted but the paint has lifted when hot tyres came to rest. Some of the paint is currently flaking. The carport is partly affected by sun and will also get rain occasionally. I have noticed a few products but with mixed reviews. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Coating for my car port floor.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Margolin22. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about coating an exterior surface.

There are plenty of concrete paints that will resist pickup from hot car tires. However, there are very few concrete paints designed to coat over an already degraded coating. You might like to post some images of the damage to your coating so our members can better assess its condition. Let me know if you need a hand uploading images.

Most concrete paints are designed to go onto bare concrete or over a coating that is in good to excellent condition. With degraded coatings, the manufacturers of these paints can't warranty their products as the condition of your existing paint is unknown. There is the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer, which will allow you to paint over your degraded coating with either Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint or Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint. Those are the two colours that are compatible with the Recoat primer.

I'm keen to see those images, and please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Mitchell 

Thanks for making contact. I have uploaded some images and would appreciate your advice.

regards GrahamPaint over bare concretePaint over bare concrete1BA85C9C-C922-43B1-9E91-93E3B22FCDA7.jpeg82D1A06B-4E53-49EE-8F4E-739CE3FDA7A6.jpeg069BA005-CF17-4AA0-87DD-D22BA5C3B0BB.jpeg433E74C5-F400-484B-AEFC-2B49C6D0CDC1.jpegA3CE2E06-491F-4667-BFA7-61ED537EC328.jpeg

Hi @Margolin22,

That coating is quite extensively degraded, so I'd recommend you consider using the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Concrete and Garage Recoat Primer and either the Rust-Oleum 3.78L Armour Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint or Rust-Oleum 3.78L Battleship Grey Concrete And Garage Floor Paint. Our other concrete paints would require you to remove the current coating entirely.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Margolin22
Growing in Experience

Mitchell 

Many thanks

With the re-coat primer would it be a good idea to give the whole area a rough sanding especially those flaking areas?

Here are the application instructions @Margolin22. You'll need to use a wire brush or wheel to remove any loose, flaking and peeling paint. There's no requirement to sand, but if you were to sand the edges of the peeled sections, it would help blend them in and give you a more uniform finish.

Mitchell

Mitchell 

Thanks for your help. I went and purchased the two items today cheers

Graham

That's great to hear, @Margolin22. Please keep us updated on your project and reach out if you need further assistance. I can't wait to see your results!

Mitchell

Mitchell

Two weeks ago you gave me some excellent advice and as I mentioned I purchased your recommended products. I am preparing the surface by removing the old paint where the tyres rested using a heat gun and sander. How far should I go with this please and will the primer adhere? Please see images of some of this work.

regards

Graham

823EDD0E-16CF-4F54-9A5A-AA06BB961C44.jpegFC107748-6E2C-4E79-AC95-342E4B74D8D3.jpeg 

That's looking good, @Margolin22.

The primer will adhere to the surface. However, if you are at the point where the paint is well adhered, then the only thing to consider is trying to minimise the transition lines from bare concreted to the painted surface. There's a noticeable height difference between the two. This height difference will be seen after the concrete is painted. To get a perfect finish and minimise this height discrepancy, you should feather the edges of the chipped areas to minimise this stepped look. The more work you can do here to feather the edges, the less likely you'll see these sections after the final topcoat. A good indicator is if you can feel the transition between painted areas and bare concrete with your fingertips. Keep sanding the chipped edges smooth until you can feel them.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects