Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to make flooring for 3m×4.5m shed?

terry5
Finding My Feet

How to make flooring for 3m×4.5m shed?

how best to make flooring for 3m×4.5m shed

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to make flooring for 3m×4.5m shed?

Hi @terry5,

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us.

Most people obviously use a concrete slab for their sheds. What base does your shed currently have? It might also be helpful for community members to know how you are planning to use your shed so they can recommend appropriate flooring. 

If you need some inspiration, shed flooring questions are very common on the community so you might like to browse previous discussions.

Let us know a little more detail and I'm sure our helpful community members will be more than happy to assist. Photos can be particularly helpful for members to see what you are working with. 

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Pulled out old timber floors. Need to level straight up shed. Asking advice on floors. Will put in workbench and mobility scooter which have a bit of weight. But on a disability pension small budget. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Were the old timber floors on concrete @terry5

Jason

No

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ah, OK. Thanks for confirming @terry5.

I assume then the timber rotted as it was in contact with the ground?

If we could trouble you for some photos, I'm sure our members will be more than happy to suggest alternatives. 

Jason

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @terry5 

Thanks for sharing your question about making a floor for your shed. If your budget is tight but you want a long-lasting solution, I suggest having a look at pavers in a timber frame. I propose having a look at this discussion - Garden shed on a semi-permanent base by @riziqbl. This is an excellent example of a shed base that is strong and semi-permanent in nature. Plus, it can take the weight of a mobility scooter and a work bench.

For example, your sheds floor area is 13.5m2. If you were to use a 400mm x 400mm paver to cover that area, you would conservatively need 84 pavers. When multiplied by its retail price of $8.72 you will get $732.48. Whereas if you were to use concrete it would cost you almost twice as much.

However, once we see the photos of your shed, we'll be able to assess the area. We can then offer suggestions on how to proceed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Thanks Eric try to negotiate concrete pavers 400×400 ×40 $7 each i asked 80 of . Do I box up some sand to lay and level the pavers. How much overlap on the base of the shed with pavers. Do I concrete the gaps in the pavers. What is best to anchor the shed to the pavers. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @terry5 

You might have to re-calculate your floor size if you wish to have an overlap. That rough estimate I suggested is exact and does not take into account overlaps. The timber sleepers will need to be secured into the ground like retaining walls with footings in concrete. This will prevent bowing and you can anchor the shed to the timber using thick steel angle brackets and screws. 

I suggest using a traditional mix of sand and cement to fill in the gaps of the pavers, especially if the shed is staying there for a while. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects